IGNORED

EZPass/IPass...just pass

steveknapp

I got a flyer from the Illinois tollway authority notifying me of changes to my Ipass terms and agreement. It mentioned that the device would also work with EZPass systems...a good thing. I checked their web site, found nothing. So I emailed them. And got a promopt reply (wow!).

We have been experiencing some problems regarding our website as of late and are very sorry about the inconvenience. I ask that you please forgive the length of this email because we want our customers to be informed especially about EZPASS and I-PASS usage. As opposed to simply giving you the information that you asked for, I will include all the information that I know about I-PASS and EZPASS usage to date. The states on the EZPASS system include Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Maryland. Soon, Maine and Virginia will be on the EZPASS system. In an attempt to merge the convenience of Tollway travel with the vast network of roads available to commuters, the Illinois Tollway has partnered with the E-Z Pass consortium. The Illinois Tollway will accept electronic payments from E-ZPass transponders beginning in late summer of 2005, November at the latest. Conversely, I-PASS users will be able to use their transponders at electronic toll collection sights linked to E-Z Pass. For both I-PASS and E-ZPass customers this means swift and expedient travel from Illinois to the greater east coast, wherever the E-ZPass logo is displayed. Currently, the Illinois Tollway is in the process of making the necessary changes in order to convert to the system that accepts both I-PASS and E-ZPass transponders. The Illinois Tollway anticipates that the service will be up and running at some point later this year.

**I-PASS can now be used on the Skyway**

More info:

I am not sure that there will be a specific announcement. However, you will know that they are compatible when the magenta colored EZPASS signs are next to the blue IPASS signs at the toll plazas.

DavidEBSmith

Soon, Maine and Virginia will be on the EZPASS system.

Um, hate to tell 'em, but Maine is already on the EZPass system, and has been since early this year. BTDT. I hope the people doing the linkup have better information than the PR person. (They also apparently don't know that New Hampshire joined EZPass within the last month).

And I hope the transition goes smoother than when they installed I-Pass on the Skyway. The weekend we went through, they had people standing in the IPass lanes to take your I-Pass and wave it above the car to get it to register.

Now, the question is, do I keep my semi-functional old I-Passes with the display, or do I keep my Maryland EZPasses?

E.B., when using it on your RT, where do you have it mounted?

Do you think the I-Pass unit will work under the clear plastic cover on top of my Big Mak?

I'm amazed they knew about their own system, much less that of other states. smile.gif

Now, the question is, do I keep my semi-functional old I-Passes with the display, or do I keep my Maryland EZPasses?

I'd get the new ones. No battery. The screen isn't that useful either.

DavidEBSmith

Do you think the I-Pass unit will work under the clear plastic cover on top of my Big Mak?

I put it under the clear plastic cover on top of my Big Mak, face down. That way, when it doesn't register at a tollbooth that has a gate, line the ones at the west end of I-88, I can fairly easily pull it out and wave it around. (If it doesn't register as I ride through a tollbooth that doesn't have a gate, well, they can get a photo of my license plate and charge my account, or not).

It doesn't seem to work well if there's metal immediately underneath it or around it. And lately the one on the bike hasn't been registering at all, even though the battery is new. It may be that the EZPass I have in the radio box (in the shiny non-conductive plastic bag) is interfering.

Hey Tasker,

We have Ezpass (don't know about I-pass) here in Denver metro area. I've had mine in my RT's glove box and the 'hit' rate on the bike is better than the one I have tacked to my windshield in the car.

Out of curiousity, does interstate ezpass mean that potentially there would just be a national set of registrations that would be collected locally in the area where you use ezpass?

Regards,

Mike O

Aluminum_Butt

I keep my I-Pass in the same place - face down behind the plastic cover of the tank bag. My hit rate is very low - near zero.

Yet, when they ship the things out, they wrap them in foil so they don't get read while in the big steel UPS truck.

There's a disconnect here. I've wondered if, aside from just seeing the transponder, the reader requires something physical to trip it (weight, magnetic field disruption like a traffic light).

I've heard that the I-Pass gets "pre-read" a quarter mile or so before the booth. I've never seen readers in this position, so I don't know if it's true, or even why they would do it.

But there is some kind of disconnect... confused.gif

I've heard that the I-Pass gets "pre-read" a quarter mile or so before the booth. I've never seen readers in this position, so I don't know if it's true, or even why they would do it.

I've seen some of the antennas, but I'm not sure if that's left over from the old black box with LCD setup they used to have.

They do say that you can't pull it out at the last second. *shrug*

Mine always worked best velcroed to the windscreen.

Steve_Witmer
where do you have it mounted?

I put it under the clear plastic cover on top of my Big Mak, face down. That way, when it doesn't register . . . It doesn't seem to work well if there's metal immediately underneath it or around it. And lately the one on the bike hasn't been registering at all,

The problem may be directional orientation. The sensor (even the one coded for motorcycles) is designed to function optimally when in a position equivalent to the windshield on a car. Thus I have my pass mounted to the windscreen and I raise the screen as close to vertical as I can as I approach a toll plaza. I have not had problems with the pass not working. YMMV

where do you have it mounted?

I put it under the clear plastic cover on top of my Big Mak, face down. That way, when it doesn't register . . . It doesn't seem to work well if there's metal immediately underneath it or around it. And lately the one on the bike hasn't been registering at all,

The problem may be directional orientation. The sensor (even the one coded for motorcycles) is designed to function optimally when in a position equivalent to the windshield on a car. Thus I have my pass mounted to the windscreen and I raise the screen as close to vertical as I can as I approach a toll plaza. I have not had problems with the pass not working. YMMV

I'm puzzled...Why do these states require a different 'pass' for motorcycles? Here in the Denver metro area there is one (for cars, trucks, motorcycles) and no difference in which vehicle it is placed?

Regards,

Mike O

Steve_Witmer
Why do these states require a different 'pass' for motorcycles? Here in the Denver metro area there is one (for cars, trucks, motorcycles) and no difference in which vehicle it is placed?

Mine is the same pass, but it is coded for a motorcycle, because some toll facilities charge less for a motorcycle than they do for a passenger car. thumbsup.gif

DavidEBSmith

And in states that don't charge less for motorcycles, it's the same pass.

In the EZPass system, there's a lot of special rates. Maryland has a general pass and a commuter pass that has special rates for some bridges (but with a bunch of other restrictions). New Hampshire gives a discount on their tolls to people with EZPasses from New Hampshire.

Now, as soon as Indiana and Ohio get with the program, we'll really have something.

Now, as soon as Indiana and Ohio get with the program, we'll really have something.

Sure, the folks who don't do DST? Ya, they're real hardcore "joiners".

DavidEBSmith

They're starting to do DST this year, so they've caught up to the 20th century.

Actually Indiana has been talking about hooking into the system for a while. It was Ohio that was being obstreperous, but recently they've said they'll think about it. There's pressure from the truck stops and motels and fast food places that believe (probably correctly) that people will be more likely to get off the turnpike and patronise their businesses if they don't have to pay and get a new toll ticket each time they get off and on. On the other hand, the state gets revenue from the vendors at the rest stops, so they want to keep the current system that encourages people to stay on the turnpike.

The Union that represents the toll collectors in Ohio is fighting this hard, as the realize a whole bunch would be unemployed dopeslap.gif

They're starting to do DST this year, so they've caught up to the 20th century.

Actually Indiana has been talking about hooking into the system for a while.

We'll go to DST in spring of 2006! Finally! clap.gif

And yes, we (Indiana) will be adding tolls aplenty soon, all over the state (in addition to I90)! bncry.gif

Archived