IGNORED

Removing handlebar controls - R1150 RT

Walter Oliver

Walter Oliver

I finally got an adapter for tubular bars for my RT, and a set of R1150R bars look about right for me. Since the R and the RT have the same controls according to online parts catalog, it should be an easy conversion. Right?

I looked at the instructions in the Clymer repair manual. They're not very detailed and refer to parts for the heated grips that are not shown in either the exploded diagram or the photos. In addition, it says to remove the upper fairing as described in Chapter 15 in order to deal with the clutch interlock wiring.

Bottom line, as I read it, I have to remove the entire fairing just to replace the handlebars!

Can anyone confirm this and maybe give me some pointers on getting this handlebar conversion accomplished without wrecking anything? Or is this really easy and I'm missing something?

Walter

'04 R1150 RT

You're going to have to take off the side fairings and pull back the tank a bit to get to the electrical connector to disconnect the heated grips. The wires for them route through the bars and have to be disconnected. But ISFA the "upper faring", presuming they are referring to the nose, etc., there is no reason for it to come off. All the other wiring, cabling, etc, including the wiring to the clutch interlock can just drape aside as you strip every thing off the bars.

Start into it, then as you go post back any specific questions. It should be fairly straight forward of a swap.

Archived