IGNORED

Falling mirrors and a funny throttle feeling.

JamesRay

I am new to the community, thank you, for reading my message. I recently became the proud owner of a 1999 1100RT with 18K miles. I love it. However, I have couple of issues.

First, when I recieved the bike the mirrors were taped with shipping tape. This confused me because they didn't appear damaged, but once I removed the tape I understood why they where taped a good bump and they would fall to the ground. Is there away to mount them more securely? I have seen threads about using fishing thingy's (technical term) in case they fall which I will do too, but I don't want them banging around on the freeway. So, I will will need to get them securely mounted.

Second, when I release the throttle at any speed just about it feels like I am downshifting -- from transmission braking, but I didn't downshift. I don't know if this is the way it should be, but when my girlfriend is on the back it gives my arms quite the workout. I have ridden all kinds of bikes and this isn't something I have encountered before. Is this common? Can it be fixed or is this a silly question?

Thanks, for reading my questions, and I hope you guys are enjoying the ride as much as I am.

Blue Beemer Dude

Hmmm. OK, I'll give it a whack.

Mirrors: these are held on with three (each) friction devices. I'm sure there's a technical name for them, but I'll be damned if I know what it is. So, you've got these little penis-shaped things sticking up on the bike, and on the mirror are three little matching hats that snap on. Make sure that they are all there. If so, try a pair of pliers and tighten up the hats a little bit. It should take a fair amount of force to get these back on, just smack it with the palm of your hand. I use a couple of long tie-wraps as safety tethers since I don't fish. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat fish, I just don't like killing or injuring animals for sport.

As for the throttle; well, these bikes are torquely little suckers. So if you are doing, let's say, 4000 RPM and release the throttle, yeah, you're going to get some radical engine braking. The solution to your problem, especially when two-up, is to be smooth. Smooooooth throttle, both accel and deacceleration, smooth braking, etc. Gently my friend, gently.

Enjoy the ride.

Michael

Michael is spot on.

On the mirror thing, the female part on the mirror itself have (or are suppose to have) a small round ring circling each of the springy fingers than go over the male stud on the side of the bike. Often those rings get lost or distorted, etc. They need to be there and in good shape for the mirrors to snap on correctly.

As for the torquey throttle, you'll get used to it over time as I have, it will "go away" as your control of the throttle improves.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I'll add the sometimes the fingers get smashed in, and are then in the way of a proper fit. Take a close look and it should make sense.

I sent you PM.

BucksTherapy

The "little fishy things" are 12" steel leaders. They are fine steel cables that have loops and attachments on either end. One end has a snap lock and the other a spinner. I cut the spinner and snap lock off. I then looped the steel cable around the fairing under the mirror. I then pulled one end through the loop on the other and pull it tight. I then remove one of the screws holding the mirror in the mirror housing and run the screw through the loop and tighten.

Now if your mirror falls out for any reason it will only fall a few inches before it fetches up on the steel cable.

Doesn't make it stay on any better but saves you replacing it when it comes off.

Good luck,

I saw them for sale on a web site awhile back and thought, "Nice! Bet I could do that for a lot less".

So I look thru the tool boxes and found some picture hanging wire and made myself a set.

It was cheap and easy and you get the satisifaction of doing it yourself.

Archived