IGNORED

XM Playing via on-board RT1200RT FM Radio

ScottFla

Any recommendations or experience out there? What about mounting and powering options? Love to see pics of various member's bike and set-up. Thanks

DavidEBSmith

You need 6 volt power. Either the automobile power adapter plugged into a auto<->BMW adapter, or hardwired power. Tune to the proper station on the FM dial and viola.

As far as mounting the XM radio, put it somewhere where it will stay dry and won't fall off.

No, you need a 6V source. You can use the voltage converter in the XM plug or an aftermarket source. I would not recommend the FM modulator for signal because on a long road trip, you may need to change freqs frequently as you pass through towns that may have your selected frequency in use. Besides, the tape adapter is much higher fidelity and you can also use the radio volume/tone controls. The best interface is into an AUX port on the radio or direct into an Autocom or similar and use either the soft volume control on the XM or an in-line aftermarket volume control.

TracerBullet

I just tried the fm modulator from pa to mid Maine in my wifes car. It was a pain in the a**. As Johnlt stated any time you get near a bigger metro area all the frequencies are taken up an I had to constantly change the frequencies. It was so bad, fading in and out, that I decided rather than leave it in the wifes car I am just going to replace the stereo with a new head unit.

sal

I'm using the WIRED FM modulator on my bike. I've used it this way for over a year now and have never had any trouble when passing through a large city. The wired fm modulator disconnects the external FM antenna when the Roady is in use. It also has the 6 volt source for the Roady.

thanks, i've heard the antenna connection with FM transmission is great -- i use a FM transmission of I-Pod music to my car stereo and it works great -- with no antenna connection. I find the low end of the FM dial is best no matter where you go. once again, thanks for the data. PS -- does the r1200rt have an aux input? seems like it does.

"I just tried the fm modulator from pa to mid Maine in my wifes car. It was a pain in the a**. As Johnlt stated any time you get near a bigger metro area all the frequencies are taken up an I had to constantly change the frequencies"

Out here in the Southwest it's not that much of a problem. I've traveled AZ, NV, NM, CO, UT, CA, OR, and except for the cities of LA and Phoenix, I never had to change my FM preset frequency to use my Roady.

Regards

I believe that the key here is whether you are using the wired or wirless fm modulator. The wired fm modulator inserts into the antenna lead. When using the Roady the wire fm modulator actually disconnects the antenna so you do not have a strong external signal coming in. I have never had any trouble using a wired fm modulator in about a year and a half and 38 thousand miles.

The best interface is into an AUX port on the radio or direct into an Autocom or similar and use either the soft volume control on the XM or an in-line aftermarket volume control.

JohnLT - Do you use the line out on the XM radio and connect that as another audio source to the intercom system? I'm using an XM2Go and a Baehr intercom on my R12RT..

Thanks,

Craig

• 1 month later...
You need 6 volt power. Either the automobile power adapter plugged into a auto<->BMW adapter, or hardwired power. Tune to the proper station on the FM dial and viola.

As far as mounting the XM radio, put it somewhere where it will stay dry and

won't fall off. [/quote

sorry about the stupid newb question, but can you just use the BMW to Auto adapter to perform the change from 12 volt to 6 volt? any idea where to buy this cable?

thanks Jim

the cycle gadget unit is big. At least bigger than i wanted in my tank bag. I purchased a 2wheelinnovations.com unit, much smaller, and it has worked like charm. In addition I purchasd a 5 volt converter to run my Ique 3600 and it was very nicely built. So far I have really liked the size and quality of the 2wheelinnovations.com converters.

Archived