IGNORED

Removing left fairing

Marek

Hello

I need to replace batteries on my 99 1100RT. It calls for removal of left side fairing. The manual is taking about pulling mirror etc etc - what's all that about? Any advice would be appreciated - Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes the mirror has to come off. There are 17 fasteners that have to be removed. You need to keep up with where they go upon replacement. Different lengths. Be especially careful on the ones on the tank. They are the shorter ones. I just posted on removing the tupperware recently here:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/536689/an/0/page/3#536689

Within the thread there is a diagram of the fasteners and sizes. Check out the thread and if you have anymore questions PM me. It's a little tedious the first time.

Mark

russell_bynum

To get the left side fairing off, you'll need to remove the bellypan (4 screws), the mirror (it just pops off) and the 15ish screws holding the fairing on.

The mirror comes off easily. Stand on the left side of the bike, facing it. Cradle the mirror in your left hand. Using your right hand give it a good whack from the back, going straight forward. It should pop off. Remove the light (it twists a little bit then pops out).

There's a long 3mm allen screw under the mirror that you have to remove to get the fairing loose.

The bellypan is just four screws...two on each side. No biggie.

When removing the fairing itself, don't forget:

1. The single screw up by the oil filter

2. Four screws around the jug/header

3. long screw under the mirror

It also helps if you open the glove compartment before you actually attempt to remove the fairing (after the screws are out).

I like to lift the fairing up and off of the lip on the tank, then rotate it forward to disengage the tab up on front, just aft of the nose. Then the whole thing comes straight off in one unruly piece.

DavidEBSmith
1. The single screw up by the oil filter

Erm, you mean up by the oil cooler in the nose of the bike, right?

If you're only taking the left side fairing off, you don't have to take all 4 belly pan screws out, just the 2 of the left side.

When you get the fairing off, you'll also need to remove the left air intake tube that goes into the airbox. To remove it, open the lid of the airbox (either clips or screws, depending on model year), and lift the intake tube. It just slips onto a post in the front.

To remove the battery, unclip the battery hold-down strap, pull the battery vent tube off, and remove the negative (black) connection to the battery (takes an 8mm wrench). Then you can slide the battery out to the left to get to the positive (red) connection.

Thanks to all - that was a quick reply - I'll try to do it tomorrow - hope all goes well. If not y'all will be fort to know. Also I noticed that my Neutral light is slow to come or doesn't come on at all. I'll need advise on how to get to the back of the transmission to replace the switch.

Thanks again - and if you are in the NC - let's ride one day - Mark

Clive Liddell

Mark,

Welcome to the board!

The neutral light being "lazy" - they all do that (TADT), really, and it is probably a "5" on a 1 to 5 difficulty rating IMO to change. Just use your gear indicator to confirm neutral when the light feels lazy smile.gif

russell_bynum

Erm, you mean up by the oil cooler in the nose of the bike, right?

DOH!!! Yeah, I mean oil COOLER. Not filter. Sorry 'bout that. dopeslap.gif

DONE - it went well no major problems or surprises. I also removed Two Brothers Exhaust and replaced stock BMW pipes. I didn't like all that noise. Maybe good for some but it didn't sound like a BMW. Took it for a ride this evening after the rain - all is well.

I guess I need to put Two Bors Exhaust up for sale.

Mark

I didn't like all that noise. Maybe good for some but it didn't sound like a BMW.

"Speak softly, and carry a big stick..."

or

"If you really want to get someone's attemtion, whisper."

thumbsup.gif

Archived