IGNORED

Have you ever seen a BMW rider without a Helmet?

motoguy128

About 3-4 times now I've passed a rider near my home on a Beige R1200RT without no helmet or any gear. A very strange sighting indeed. It realized that this is the only time I've ever seen a BMW rider without a helmet. It just doesn't fit the profile.

I theroize that he bought the bike used, not from a dealer and jsut likes hte way it looked and rides, but isn't really a member of "the community" of BMW riders. Even my wife agrees with me that he doesn't fit the profile.

I suspect he lives within 20 miles of where I live because I've seen him along the Mississippi river on both the Illinois and Iowa sides. He never waves back and the last time I was on my bicycle and he still didn't wave back... that leads me ot beleive he more likely from Ilinois rather than Iowa and Missouir has helmet laws, so he's definitely not from there. Plus, folks from NE Missouri almost always wave.

Has anyone else witnessed this rare breed of BMW rider? One that's not part of the community, but just likes the bike.

It kind of reminds me of the guy that buys a $3000 mountian bike, but only rides it around his neighboorhood and never takes it on trails. He also never wears a helmet and if he wears cycling shorts, they are either with underwear, or the kind with out the chamois (padding).

Saw a guy once out by Ventura wearing shorts and flip flops with a cereal bowl helmet, riding an RT.

One of those "what's wrong with this picture?" moments!

But at least he waved :wave:

Has anyone else witnessed this rare breed of BMW rider?

Yes and seem to be seeing it more and more frequently. OTOH, it also seems that I am seeing more and more cruiser and sportbike riders wearing protective gear.

russell_bynum
I theroize that he bought the bike used, not from a dealer and jsut likes hte way it looked and rides, but isn't really a member of "the community" of BMW riders. Even my wife agrees with me that he doesn't fit the profile.

Good grief.

Have you been to an UnRally? ATGATT takes a holiday.

I've witnessed some of the most esteemed members of BMWST (while I'm not esteemed, I do it too) making "short runs" to the store, to dinner, to get fuel, and so on, wearing little or no gear. The first time I saw it I was shocked :)

Most of the time at least a helmet is involved, but sometimes not. You're right, it's a strange site indeed.

I suppose I meant out on a normal ride. I too have going sans helmet while "dry off" the bike ridding up and down the street after I wash it and also while around a camp ground. But even riding 2 miles to the gas station, I still at least toss on a helmet. Maybe 20 years from now I won't bother for those short trips either.

Sorta funny..I used to ride a Harley but took so much ridicule for riding w/full face helmet and mesh gear I ultimately decided I either needed to ditch the gear or ditch the bike..I love my RT. :grin:

Lets_Play_Two
About 3-4 times now I've passed a rider near my home on a Beige R1200RT without no helmet or any gear. A very strange sighting indeed. It realized that this is the only time I've ever seen a BMW rider without a helmet. It just doesn't fit the profile.

I suspect he lives within 20 miles of where I live because I've seen him along the Mississippi river on both the Illinois and Iowa sides. He never waves back and the last time I was on my bicycle and he still didn't wave back... that leads me ot beleive he more likely from Ilinois rather than Iowa and Missouir has helmet laws, so he's definitely not from there. Plus, folks from NE Missouri almost always wave.

Has anyone else witnessed this rare breed of BMW rider? One that's not part of the community, but just likes the bike.

It kind of reminds me of the guy that buys a $3000 mountian bike, but only rides it around his neighboorhood and never takes it on trails. He also never wears a helmet and if he wears cycling shorts, they are either with underwear, or the kind with out the chamois (padding).

I see this regularly in Florida. No helmet and many times in shorts with running shoes or flipflops.

Gawd, I hope we don't become an elitist group of snobs.

Too late!!!

I have no problem being an elitist snob.

I wouldn't mind it being a group of people like me, but I find we're lacking in elites.

I've seen it fairly often. However, it's unusual enough that it always surprises me.

So, here's the "chicken or egg" question: Do Beemers, for some reason, attract the ATGATT crowd, or do we become ATGATT types after we buy the bike and see what the rest are wearing?

Guess I should dig out the picture of me riding my BMW with no helmet. Of course the bell bottoms that I was wearing might indicate just how new my R75/5 was at the time......

I was a complete idiot at 21 years old.

Everybody from Illinois waves to the point of distraction. :wave::wave::wave::wave: :wave: :wave::wave::wave:

Maybe his helmet is at the cleaners and he doesn't want to wait for it to get back? :lurk:

So, here's the "chicken or egg" question: Do Beemers, for some reason, attract the ATGATT crowd, or do we become ATGATT types after we buy the bike and see what the rest are wearing?

Yes. :thumbsup:

I can only speak for myself. I rode a cruiser and I wore a helmet. I took the MSF class. I was overdressed for the group of folks that I rode with. This was all I knew - the entire extent of my riding education and knowledge base.

One day I was invited to go on a ride with a friend who rode a GS.

I immediately realized that what I thought was riding, was not. For the first time, it was evident that he was skilled in the “art of motorcycle riding” and that I had deluded myself into thinking that I knew what I was doing. He spoke of the importance of gear, of training, of practice, and of choosing ones riding partners carefully and sparingly. This was the start of the journey to continually improve that I am currently on.

....so for me, it is clear that I evolved into a student of the art after being introduced to someone with a passion for the sport. I find that these passionate individuals often times ride BMWs.

Everybody from Illinois waves to the point of distraction. :wave::wave::wave::wave: :wave: :wave::wave::wave:

Maybe his helmet is at the cleaners and he doesn't want to wait for it to get back? :lurk:

Right... it's been at the cleaners for a while now. The 4 spottings are over 12 months apart. Beige RT's aren't too common around here except on major freeways (folks passing through).

Maybe I should have said the upper half of Illinois.

8704.jpg

Hey, this guy's not wearing one... (with apologies to kudzu)

I used to ride without one on my Harley on very local hot rides in NH, but that was pre-BMW for me.

I wear my helmet and gear... all the time... except when I don't.

I obey the posted speed limits and follow all the state imposed road rules all the time as well... except for the occasions when I choose not to.

When I hike, I take all my survival gear in the back pack, but on some occasions I have not.

When I was an off shore sport fisherman I always filed float plans and notified some shore based person of my trip plans... most of the time.

When I flew airplanes I always filed flight plans even for locals, and only sometimes did not...

I guess all this risk taking makes me unworthy of the BMW brand- at times.

I think it might have been Ralph Waldo Emerson who said: "Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds".

So far it has all worked out OK for me, but I do advise my grand kids not to do silly things like me...

I'm near the South Carolina border and in South Carolina there are no helmet laws. In North Carolina you must wear a helmet. We get a significant number of South Carolinians who put on a helmet in North Carolina and take it off when they go back in to South Carolina. I've never yet seen a BMW rider and only rarely a sport bike rider who isn't wearing a helmet even in South Carolina. Cruiser riders are another story and even their little cereal bowl helmets when they come over here to my side are ridiculous to look at and hardly worth the effort to protect one's bean.

Bruce

The fist day I bought my new BMW a policeman pulled me over. I was wearing some old worn out leathers, and an old helmet. The cop really checked me out, insurance, address and everything.

After all that he said sometimes these bikes are stolen. I didn't mind really, after all I was in Surrey.

Now that's profiling

Well, I thought it odd the first time I saw a BMW rider riding around town (here, not a bmwst event) in full BMW attire... Well, maybe the flip-flops weren't BMW, but the t-shirt and shorts definitely were.

Oh, and he didn't have a helmet.

I don't think it's being an elitist snob to notice that we (as BMW sport touring riders) tend to wear similar gear (though if we get to the point where we all look like bright yellow teletubbies, I'm outta here.) I might be wearing leathers if I hung out with a different crowd. Sometimes, peer pressure is effective. If it helps me increase my odds of staying alive while doing something I enjoy, I'm all for it.

(Though technically, I guess I should say "staying alive just after doing something I enjoy turns into something else," because frankly, I'm not really sure I'd enjoy crashing, though all signs seem to point to me not enjoying it. Wait... was anal retentive part of the profile? I forget. :) )

Couple weeks ago I road the RT for about a hundred miles, in SC, without a helmet. I'd never done it before and found it to be wonderfull. Low speed, wind in the hair and all that. I clearly recognize that hitting the pavement without a helmet is not going to be good for me. On the other hand, I ride a MOTORCYCLE, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes leaning way over. Riding is dangerous and now one gets out alive. Live large, breath deep and enjoy the ride. Note: If you have never ridin a bike with only a half-helmet you really are missing a really enjoyable bart of motorcycling. One rider opines.

I'm near the South Carolina border and in South Carolina there are no helmet laws. In North Carolina you must wear a helmet. We get a significant number of South Carolinians who put on a helmet in North Carolina and take it off when they go back in to South Carolina. I've never yet seen a BMW rider and only rarely a sport bike rider who isn't wearing a helmet even in South Carolina. Cruiser riders are another story and even their little cereal bowl helmets when they come over here to my side are ridiculous to look at and hardly worth the effort to protect one's bean.

Bruce

1. A friend of mine who lives in SC hit a patch of sand, lowsiding his R1100RT. In the ER, the attending nurse told him, "I'm going to try not going to hurt you, because you were wearing a helmet and protective gear."

2. Last year, I looked in my mirrors, and saw a guy behind me with a really weird looking helmet. Eventually I realized it was a beanie helmet with 1" metal spikes around the perimeter. I guess he figured if he had a crash, the impact would drive the spikes into his skull, so the helmet wouldn't fall off.

russell_bynum

1. A friend of mine who lives in SC hit a patch of sand, lowsiding his R1100RT. In the ER, the attending nurse told him, "I'm going to try not going to hurt you, because you were wearing a helmet and protective gear."

If that nurse is implying that he/she would intentionally hurt a patient who was not wearing gear, then he/she should be fired and then taken out in the parking lot and beaten.

2. Last year, I looked in my mirrors, and saw a guy behind me with a really weird looking helmet. Eventually I realized it was a beanie helmet with 1" metal spikes around the perimeter. I guess he figured if he had a crash, the impact would drive the spikes into his skull, so the helmet wouldn't fall off.

Actually, he probably thought "Man...that looks sweet!"

Well regarding a half helmet I purposely bought one about three months ago for hot weather riding and I love it. I used it for the first time with my BMW club up in Kings Canyon mid July and it was great. For the trip up and back I was wearing my full face helmet.

russell_bynum
Well regarding a half helmet I purposely bought one about three months ago for hot weather riding and I love it. I used it for the first time with my BMW club up in Kings Canyon mid July and it was great. For the trip up and back I was wearing my full face helmet.

Sinner.

I ride without gear and a helmet when I'm in Hawaii....and I'm on a Harley.

Not to mention how you like to ride with an unbuckled helmet.

Have you ever seen a BMW rider without a Helmet

87548734_Xf8AD-L.jpg

..never

The rider does have a helmet, it appears to be strapped to a pillion grabrail.

i rIDE many times without a helmet or gear..just my preference.

Now - if I'm tearing to a rally or really eating up some tarmac you can bet that it's on - full and buckled. But, if I'm just out for a bit - I won't throw it on.

Sorta funny..I used to ride a Harley but took so much ridicule for riding w/full face helmet and mesh gear I ultimately decided I either needed to ditch the gear or ditch the bike..I love my RT. :grin:

Billy, you probably wouldn't get any guff over it now, at least not up here in the Pac Northwest. While most Harley riders still wear no more helmet than the law demands, an increasing number are wearing even full-coverage lids. I made a run to Tennessee last spring and saw lots of 'em in every state.

And I just got back from an overnight, 600-mile round-trip down to Portland during which I wore a full-face Shoei, a First Gear 1-piece suit, and SIDI boots. Talked to several other riders on the way and didn't get so much as a funny look. The serious riders get it - choice. The weekend poseurs, in it with an attitude, never will.

As the saying goes, "20 grand, twenty miles, and two-day growth of beard don't make you a biker."

Pilgrim

Good grief.

Profile??

Good grief.

Profile??

Hey, the guy doesn't wave to the only other R1200RT in a 30 miles radius, never appears to be wearing gear.... sure, I like ot make up a story ot explain why he demonstrates behaviors that are completely the opposite of almost every other BWM rider I've ever met or seen on the road. In some circles, not wearing a 'stitch makes you an odd-ball among BMW riders.

Come to think of it, maybe I'm jsut annoyed because he's the only BMW rider I've ever passed that I don't recall waving back.

I kind of remind me of someone that goes into a bar, sits down, orders a glass of water, talks to nobody, then leaves. That kind of behavior just strikes me as strange and anitsocial. I can't help speculate what his motives are.

I guess I'll just keep my "profiling" to myself.

I kind of remind me of someone that goes into a bar, sits down, orders a glass of water, talks to nobody, then leaves. That kind of behavior just strikes me as strange and anitsocial.

Well, you have a lot to learn about introverts.

I guess I'll just keep my "profiling" to myself.

I, for one, will be delighted. :/

russell_bynum
I kind of remind me of someone that goes into a bar, sits down, orders a glass of water, talks to nobody, then leaves. That kind of behavior just strikes me as strange and anitsocial. I can't help speculate what his motives are.

Maybe he's just thirsty and he wants to sit down and enjoy his drink without having to make small talk.

...he's probably wondering why all the antisocial types at the bar aren't talking to him....;-)

I wouldn't let all the naysayers get you down... I too find it rather strange to see a BMW rider without a helmet... just don't see that a lot around here, and we, South Carolina, are a no-helmet law state. Whether it is a cultural thing within the brand or an image that BMW riders (or Motorrad) have cultivated over the years, they seem to cater to the Gortex crowd... maybe it is this: if you're gonna plop down close to 20 large on a GS and invest in ABS, then you may be more than likely to invest in good gear and wear it, no matter what when and where. As to the helmetless BMW rider, I have seen it once in a while and when I do, I chalk it up to being their choice, stupid, yes, but their choice nonetheless.

russell_bynum
I theroize that he bought the bike used, not from a dealer and jsut likes hte way it looked and rides, but isn't really a member of "the community" of BMW riders.

I bought my RT new from a dealer. I bought it because I loved the way it rode and the way it looked.

I didn't even know there was a "community of BMW riders". I found that out after a year or so of ownership.

Over the years, I've discovered that most of the people that I enjoy talking bikes with just love motorcycles. Period. Sometimes they own BMW's, sometimes they don't, but they don't select their motorcycle because of "the community", they select it because of....."the motorcycle".

I theroize that he bought the bike used, not from a dealer and jsut likes hte way it looked and rides, but isn't really a member of "the community" of BMW riders.

I bought my RT new from a dealer. I bought it because I loved the way it rode and the way it looked.

I didn't even know there was a "community of BMW riders". I found that out after a year or so of ownership.

Over the years, I've discovered that most of the people that I enjoy talking bikes with just love motorcycles. Period. Sometimes they own BMW's, sometimes they don't, but they don't select their motorcycle because of "the community", they select it because of....."the motorcycle".

I bought my BMW so I could be part of the BMWST community and hang out in Torrey with the coolest bikers I have ever met,,

<>

Maybe his Harley is in the shop and their loaner is a BMW. :D

I don't know what it's like elsewhere but if you hang out at the entrance to Yosemite you can watch some Harley riders stop and stow their helmets. Seems they like the fact there is no Federal helmet law and National Parks are federal land.

I ride without gear and a helmet when I'm in Hawaii....and I'm on a Harley.

Not to mention how you like to ride with an unbuckled helmet.

It's a ruse. If it comes off...then I get to ride my BMW....without a helmet.

The original question was "have you ever seen a BMW rider without a helmet.

Yes. Once. Many years ago. It is a rare sight. He was an older gent with long silver hair and a grin from ear to ear.

Maybe the dealers have a lot to do with it. When I bought my bike, I also didn't know that I was going to be part of a bigger community. The dealer didn't stock leather chaps, beenie helmets, or leather vests. All he had was full face helmets and ATGATT, so of it in very bright colors. All the people who were bringing their bikes in also were wearing the BMW "uniform." I just figured that was what adults now wore on serious motorcycles, instead of the Army surplus or denim I'd worn years ago. It just made good sense to wear the stuff; didn't know that the side benefit was that I'd be fitting in with the flock.

Maybe he's just thirsty and he wants to sit down and enjoy his drink without having to make small talk.

The main point was that he ordered water. What's the point of going to a bar if you A) aren't going to socilaize or B) drink, or C) both. Unless you're a private detective or a stalker, I can't think of why else you'd do this.

Archived