IGNORED

Alternator cover removal problem

MGN54

Hi all,

Doing my first valve adjust and upon removing the alt cover I could not get it to drop free. Appears the spring on the front Ohlins shock is not allowing enough clearance. Doh!!! So, I guess I will use the rear wheel spin method to find TDC. Am I missing something here?

Mark

Joe Frickin' Friday

You need to remove one of the "shark fins" down by the exhaust headers. One only, then the cover can slip out to that side. Shark fin is held on by a stanchion that's bolted to the front of the engine by two bolts; unscrew those two bolts. thumbsup.gif

FWIW, even knowing this, it's still easier to do the rear-wheel-bump method...

Thanks Mitch! I have the left side valve cover off. Can't get tranny to go past 1st gear. Now what.... I will go back out and see about the shark fin you are talking about. Maybe that is the answer for this NEWB!!! smile.gif

Mark

Besides the rear wheel method, you can also cut a 1" hole in the alternator cover over the crank pulley nut and fill it with a plastic/rubber plug. That way you can adjust engine position with the pulley nut whenever you want without having to pull the cover each time. I've done this and it's really convenient.

Mitch, you are the man. Cover is off! Seth, great idea!!

Thanks a bunch guys. THIS, is one of the reasons I bought a BMW!

Mark

Joe Frickin' Friday
Thanks Mitch! I have the left side valve cover off. Can't get tranny to go past 1st gear. Now what....

Wiggle the rear wheel back and forth with one hand while you shift with the other.

DavidEBSmith
Besides the rear wheel method, you can also cut a 1" hole in the alternator cover over the crank pulley nut and fill it with a plastic/rubber plug. That way you can adjust engine position with the pulley nut whenever you want without having to pull the cover each time. I've done this and it's really convenient.

How to do this.

David thanks for the link! Has anyone found a substitute plug for the BMW fork leg plug that will work? I am a ways away from my BMW dealer and would like to do this while I have the bike torn down for valve adjust/TBS. If not, I guess I'll line it up for next time! Sure is easy to turn the alternator bolt while looking in the hole for the timing mark.

Mark

Has anyone found a substitute plug for the BMW fork leg plug that will work?

Just about any good hardware store should have something. I found something quite adequate at my local Lowes (plastic plug for 1" holes.) Was in the gray drawers of special hardware in the hardware (nuts & bolts) section.

Forget about all those other "fixes" Just cut the plastic cover in half between the top two mounting screws and the bottom two screws. When you want to inspect the belt or turn the crank, take off the lower half. If you need to change the belt, then take off the top half too. You will never have to remove the "shark fins". grin.gif

Archived