IGNORED

Suggestions on Parts for my Alaska trip

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

Heading from Michigan to Alaska and back next spring. Never too early to do a little planning. What spare parts do you suggest I carry for my 02RT? Just picked up a small air compressor and a slick tire plug tool. Figure some plugs, bulbs and an alternator belt. Will do the spline and brake/clutch fluid change this winter. Will have about 23K on the scooter when I leave. Will order a rear tire to mount in Alaska. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Ride safe.

Bob

RichEdwards

Start with new tires and pick tires for their longevity, not their "stickiness." You will probably still need that rear change in Alaska. And bring Plexus. I cleaned my faceshield about three or four times a day (dust, dirt, bugs).

Did it in 2000 and 2004. ME880's should be good for a 12,000 mile round trip. I carried tools, duct tape, JB Weld, pump and plugs, didn't worry about parts. If you need anything 1st choice is dealer in Edmonton, second Calgary, third Fairbanks, last by a long shot is Anchorage. Anchorage is VERY busy and will get around to you in a couple of weeks!

For sure - you don't need to carry bulbs - it doesn't get dark grin.gif !

I never needed anything on either trip. Best advice I got was from Fairbanks (Trails End). I went in because my bike was hitting 36,000 and I was concerned about service and going off warrantee.

Dealer - Got any problems?

Me - No.

Dealer - your bike got you up the Alaskan?

Me - Yep.

Dealer - If it were me I'd not let anyone touch my bike until it got me home! Here's a oil filter go get oil and change it and get out of here!

Tom

Gainesville, Mo.

PS Last trip my son rode a 97 600 Bandit from Key West to north of Fairbanks with all camping gear. Up the Cassiar and back the Alaskan!

mikefigielski

At 23K miles, you should be OK, but then again, you are going into desolate areas. Personally, I carry a spare Hall sensor, fuel pump, Motronic, and ignition switch on long trips. I know that is overkill for some people, but I have personally had or seen these parts ruin trips by their failure. Plus, I have easy access to these parts used. Plugs and an alternator belt can't hurt. An assortment of commonly used nuts and bolts, zip ties, hose clamps, etc can bea life saver. I saved a trip for a friends K12GT with a soda can, hi temp silicone, and two hose clamps. It was a McGuyver moment, what can I say!

Mike

.... Personally, I carry a spare Hall sensor, fuel pump, Motronic, and ignition switch on long trips....Plugs and an alternator belt can't hurt. An assortment of commonly used nuts and bolts, zip ties, hose clamps, etc can bea life saver....what can I say!

Mike

I say - If I had to carry all that for piece of mind - I'd get a new VStrom ooo.gif !

Seriously though - the guy my son and I rode with on the last trip UPS'd over 150lbs of junk back as soon as we hit Anchorage. As the Nike ad says - "Just Do It" !

Tom

Gainesville, Mo.

Steve_Reinig

We just got back a month ago and our only regret is not planning for the replacement of tires. We both blew out our rear ME 880s at about 6000. We did the Cassiar, Denali and Top of the World. Another option is to have tires shipped to a known destination and have them mounted. Next time it will be Dawson City and mounted by the tire place in town. It's owned by a motorcyclist!!!

We carried cables, alternator belt, Twinmax compressor, plugs, torque wrench and assorted tools. Good luck. It's the ride of a lifetime.

Archived