IGNORED

Ken H.

It seems like I should know a solution for this, but I don’t, but I bet someone does!

The scenario is that we have decided to be a cell phones only household in our new location, as when we had a conventional land line we hardly ever used it.

But our (just ordered) dish receiver needs to be connected to a phone line for PPV (and other stuff?) to work.

So it seems like there should be such thing as an adaptor that would simulate a land line dial tone over the cell phone network. Basically RJ-11 in, Bluetooth connection to a cell phone out. But is there? How do people accommodate this particular issue?

Ken, does it allow for an Ethernet connection instead? Tivo does, for instance. Otherwise, could you use a phone-over-internet type connection instead (assuming you have a separate connection)?

Ken are you certain you have to use a phone line?

I just talked to the DirecTV goons about this issue this morning - I can set up service, I just can't pay per view from the remote without a phone line, I'll have to do it online for free, or call and get service charged.

Dish Network may have a similar setup. THey all say you have to have a phone line because they want you to be able to click and spend money easily, but the system doesn't need it to get TV to your screen obviously.

Also I know DTV has an add on that allows their receiver to connect to your home network for accessing on demand programming - might also serve as a connection if something similar exists for Dish Net.

Hi Ken,

We have Dish network with no land line. I believe we have to pay a small extra charge each month because of that, but it's not really a problem. We can order PPV over the internet (works fine) and the DVR doesn't need it.

The reason they want you to have it connected to a land line is to make sure the receiver stays where they think it is. Apparently it's possible to hook up your neighbors using your receiver, or bring your receiver to other locations such as a summer cabin so you don't need to pay for service in two locations. That's why they are trying to avoid, thus the land line or fee.

BTW - Instead of buying extra receivers with their per-month charge ask your installer about using a mirror system. Ask the installer because he might do it for free, the company might want to charge you extra. We just have the one dual tuner DVR reciver, but all the TV's in the house work from it. We can still watch two different channels in different rooms if we want. Each extra room has an RF remote that works through walls. Extra remotes can but bought cheaply on Ebay.

Mike

Otherwise, could you use a phone-over-internet type connection instead (assuming you have a separate connection)?

For the most part, these don't work too well for data services. Some people have gotten them to work on some VOIP services, but they're not supported, and likelihood of them working varies greatly.

Ken, does it allow for an Ethernet connection instead? Tivo does, for instance. Otherwise, could you use a phone-over-internet type connection instead (assuming you have a separate connection)?

I suppose I should have qualified my question a bit more - This is StarChoice in Canada, and the receiver definitely does not have a Ethernet port.

Exploring an Internet based type solution is a good idea. Don’t really much want to pay for an Internet based voice connection though.

Thanks!

We can order PPV over the internet (works fine) and the DVR doesn't need it.

I think that's possible on StarChoice too, but they are saying "still need a land line", for just the 'tracking' reason you discribe I suspect.

BTW - Instead of buying extra receivers with their per-month charge ask your installer about using a mirror system.

Good thought. We only own one TV though. (Donna has a strict, "No TV allowed in the bedroom" rule. :grin: )

• 3 months later...

Awhile back I posted this question, and I just came up with what mignt be one of the slickest soulutions yet. Created by a couple of ex-Nortel engineers. (What else they going to do these days?)

XLink

This is interesting... I haven't completely ditched my land line, but did reduce my SoCal Verizon coverage to just local only for $29/month billing. If XLink works as described, I could instead use my bank of ATT cell rollover minutes! :Cool:

Jeff

Sounds neat, but the only problem I still have with the idea of ditching your landline is calling 911. In SoCal our 911 calls from a cell phone go to the CHP and you can wait 15 minutes before a dispatcher gets to you--and that was when the State HAD money--then they have to figure out where you are and transfer you to another dispatcher in your city. With a landline it goes automatically to the appropriate Agency which dispatches your Police and/or Fire. Also, your address automatically appears on their screen so they know exactly where you live and can get the units rolling while they gather the rest of the info they need from you. If I was having a heart attack, or asthma attack or my garage was on fire, I would not want to wait even one extra minute to get help.

I thought there was a way to register your cell phone with your local Public Safety dispatch center, but we're so portable now we're not likely to be "home" most of the time and that's worse. I'd either wait until they get the whole GPS thing figured out or at least make sure I had the 10-digit emergency number for my local dispatch entered in my cell phone (they all have them).

Hi Ken:

I used to do some contract work for this company....They used to have an office in Mississauga.....

They have a few products that will meet your needs.

Telular device

PM me if you need more info.

Good Luck

Sounds neat, but the only problem I still have with the idea of ditching your landline is calling 911. In SoCal our 911 calls from a cell phone go to the CHP and you can wait 15 minutes before a dispatcher gets to you--and that was when the State HAD money--then they have to figure out where you are and transfer you to another dispatcher in your city. With a landline it goes automatically to the appropriate Agency which dispatches your Police and/or Fire. Also, your address automatically appears on their screen so they know exactly where you live and can get the units rolling while they gather the rest of the info they need from you. If I was having a heart attack, or asthma attack or my garage was on fire, I would not want to wait even one extra minute to get help.

Jamie--

This is good information for Californians, but it's better in some areas. We Illinoisans have more than our share of problems, but 911 routing from cell phones seems to work here. I've had to call 911 from my cell phone on a couple of occasions, and the system has worked flawlessly, connecting me to the correct call center immediately. The only time that might not work is when the nearest cell tower is in a different jurisdiction--in those instances, the transfer happens pretty quickly. However, as you note, every second counts.

Archived