IGNORED

Integrated ABS vs. Independent ABS

Lawman

I'm familiar with the argument supporting independent wheel ABS..I'm not familiar with the opposing view..Can someone tell me?

ShovelStrokeEd

The idea behind the integrated braking, it really has nothing to do with ABS, is that many riders, through lack of training or ignorance, fail to fully utilize the capablities of their brakes. Using, pick one, all front brake, all rear brake, not enough front, not enough rear. Given the demographic, a little help from technology can improve their braking peformance without the need for training.

Moto Guzzi has been doing this for about 20 years, Honda does it on certain models, BMW got way more agressive about it with the servo assisted, integrated brakes. Again, servo assist is seperate from integration, just not on BMW's. You get either fully or partially integrated brakes.

I actually like the partially integrated brakes, I can do without the servo assist. I would prefer they just made the brakes a bit more powerful and incorporated a faster version of the original ABS. But, I'm an old fart and hard to train up to the new stuff.

I also like the integration scheme used by Honda on my VFR. Rear brake operates one front caliper. The other front caliper activates the rear brake by pivoting the caliper and letting brake pressure drag it against a piston, meaning applied rear brake will be proportional to applied front brake but not directly activated by the hydrolic pressure in the front control circuit. This allows for some level of proportional control. I find these brakes to be mostly transparent. I can tell they are there if I'm paying attention but, in day to day use, they are not the least obtrusinve.

Thanks Ed,

Integrated brakes help overcome operator error..That's really what ABS does too when you think about it...That seems pretty obvious now that you say it.... dopeslap.gif

Thanks Ed,

Integrated brakes help overcome operator error..That's really what ABS does too when you think about it...That seems pretty obvious now that you say it.... dopeslap.gif

The difference, though, is that with a properly functioning ABS system, there is no way for the operator to get in trouble. With integrated braking, there is a definite possibility of getting in trouble under conditions where use of both brakes is not ideal.

To me, partial integral ABS is the best of both worlds; 2 fingers is all you need for FULL braking power.

All the other contraptions still require you to use BOTH brakes for maximum braking, and are much more complicated than our integral system. Ed failed to elaborate on Honda's system: First of all, all 3 calipers have 3 pistons. Front lever activates 2 pistons (outer) on right front caliper and 1 (middle) left front caliper. Left caliper pushes 3rd master cylinder to activate middle piston on rear caliper. Pedal activates remaining pistons on all 3 calipers (2 in rear, 2 left front and 1 on right front). I had problems (defective -leaky- 3rd master cylinder) on my VFR and CBR1100XX. I'd take my integral system any day of the week.

Archived