IGNORED

Blown Exhaust Valve

Travelin' Man

Travelin' Man

My current ride is a 2000 R1100RT with 27k miles on it. I recently experienced a problem while riding home which turned out to be a broken exhaust valve. I've taken it to my local BMW dealership and received the bad news. They quoted me $827 for parts and $864 for labor to do a top end rebuild. They claim that the piston was not damaged so new pistons are not included.

I called back and asked if they would do the labor if I purchased the parts, since I could get them from Chicago BMW for 20% off. After a long pause on hold, the technician returned and said they could discount the parts by 10% but would not be agreeable to me purchasing the parts and them doing the repair.

Now, I don't have much expericne wrenching so I imagine that this large of a repair is beyond my capability. I've searched the internet for somewhere near me in N. California that might be able to do it for less, but all I found were dealers and I imagine that they would be nearly the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this repair more affordable or do I bite the bullet and have them do the job? Any advice would be appreciated! thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Assuming no damage to the valve seat or valve guide or the like, its not a big deal to replace a valve. The seat will need to be reground, which can be handled at your local automotive machine shop. Most can handle this kind of thing these days.

Removing the cylinder head is really not that big a deal with the most technical part being getting cam timing correct on assembly. A little help from your friends here might ease the pain of that.

Why not pull both heads, send them to San Jose BMW for dual plugging and have them do the valve work while they have the head. You'll wind up with a better running bike and a new found knowledge about your old one. I wouldn't try to get too cheap on the parts deal here. An exhaust valve is only 50 bucks, let whoever does the machine work dip their beak a bit here. You can save on the stuff like gaskets and the like.

If your not comfortable with doing this level of repair, R&R cylinder head(s), you are going to have to put yourself in either a dealers or independant repair shops hands. Neither of them is going to do anything for free.

I just thought of another option. Don't know exactly how to get in touch here but Ron Schmidt, ex Brown Motor Works, ex BMW of Salt Lake service manager has opened his own shop in Salt Lake City. It might take some digging to get the name but, he is one of the most meticulous technicians I have ever encountered in my life. If you can get ahold of him and send your head there, you can be sure the quality of the work will be superb.

Royd, that's a bummer. Have you been talking to our Modesto dealer? I don't know about those guys. They did some stuff on my bike that was questionable and in one case wrong.

Kinda cheesy for them to refuse the labor. Try the guys at A&S or even San Jose BMW.

You don't need pistons, but what about the cylinders and rings? can you get them to tell you exactly what parts they consider bad? I assume they have the bike apart, so it means taking it in pieces if you go somewhere else.

Travelin' Man

Rick,

Yes, I have it in Modesto and it is currently apart, but I can load it into the back of my pickup and drive it anywhere. I got a detailed copy of their estimate and it lists all the parts, which includes rings.

Do you think another dealer would really be any different? confused.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Whoa!

Rings? Your talking a top end job here, not replacing a burnt exhaust valve. If the head of the valve came off (broken valve) and didn't damage the piston or combustion chamber I'm a monkey's uncle. (Actually I am, but that's a sock monkey). Something is not adding up here.

Personally, if I had to shell out the bucks, I'd want the best shop I could find and was comfortable with. I think san Jose BMW is probably best in our region. Call and see what they might do.

Did you do a parts cost comparison? What are you gonna save, $180 or so?

Royd

...which turned out to be a broken exhaust valve.

Ed

Something is not adding up here.

You are right Ed, that's why I asked. Boken valve almost always does serious damage to everything. It may be that they meant a cracked valve head, not a borken stem.

ShovelStrokeEd

Then why the rings? No need to disturb the cylinders at all if its only a valve. Pull heads, fix, replace.

Methinks, the prudent owner would get their bike out of there post haste.

Methinks, the prudent owner would get their bike out of there post haste.

I would tend to agree. Unless some information is being left out something doesn't smell right here.

If no damage to the pistons or bores pull the heads and take them to a good performance shop. You will get a better repair for a helluva lot less than $1700... eek.gif

Archived