IGNORED

bill mayers seat

taters

recently i posted how my butt kills me when i ride. so i bought a bill mayers saddle. now instead of my butt killing me after 30 miles now it kills me at 80 miles. well someone who saw the post wrote to bill mayer and bill personally called me about an hour ago. he asked me indepth about the problem and told me to send it back and he would do all he could to make it right. now i am sending the saddle back on august 8th as he will be out of town till then.now needless to say i am very impressed with the customer service of billmayer saddles. i'll let you all know in about a month how it worked out.

That is great customer service, considering that Bill Mayer has been dead for a few years. blush.gif

I suspect he's referring to Bill Mayer III (aka Rocky Mayer).

In any case, yes, great service (as I too experienced).

Regards,

Mike O

...even this forum has its share of morons and wiseguys

A sarcastic sense of humor shows you're paying attention...I can identify clap.gif

DavidEBSmith

Well, which is it? Moron or wiseguy? 'Cause I don't think somebody can be a moron and wise at the same time. Or did you mean wiseguy as in Wise Guys, like mafioso Wise Guy, 'cause I suppose somebody could be a moron and a Wise Guy, although I wouldn't expect a moron Wise Guy to last long enough to get to be a Wise Guy.

In the words of the inestimable Sergeant Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis."

I had the same problem. Fortunately, I live 30 miles away from his shop. Even after he did a second pass, I am still pretty uncomfortable after 80-100 miles, although the pain never gets as bad. The big difference, for me, was combining the Rocker Mayer saddle with an Alaska Leathers seatpad. I have found that to be a great combination, although it is still a long way from all-day comfortable. The big difference is in recovery time after I get off, and the level of recovery available. With the AL seatpad, I get about 98% recovery after 10 minutes off the bike. Without it, I get 75% after 20 minutes.

I am pretty convinced that my ass just requires something that the aftermarket seat solutions can't offer. I've tried them all and while they've all been an improvement over stock, none of them have been all that great.

That said, the customer service from Rocky Mayer was top notch (and he was great about the 2nd attempt), and I still recommend him to anyone looking for an aftermarket solution.

I hope you get a great seat out of the deal, but if not, give Alaska Leathers a call. At approximately $40, it is low risk, and easy to sell if you don't return it, but it is sure to offer some amount of improvement.

--sam

Just had the seat on my R1200RT rebuilt by Rocky (Bill III). I had ordered the bike with the low seat, and that was the worst seat I EVER had--couldn't stand riding over 100 miles.

But Rocky's THE MAN when it comes to seats!!! thumbsup.gif Arrived at his spacious abode in Ojai about 8AM; two other guys had been there since 6 (rode in from No. Cal. & stayed the nite). Even tho he was a little overbooked that day, Rocky spent lots of time with all his customers to make sure every seat was absolutely RIGHT. Paid particular attention to my wife's a$$ (in a professional way, of course), to make sure the pillion was as comfy as possible. Even bought us all lunch while we waited, introduced us to his family (dogs), and was extremely personable. All his crew are pros & made sure the job was perfect. A great example of the consumate businessman, who really cares about his clients.

New seat is GREAT. No more sore rides. Even the bikes suspension seems better, without having to worry about seat comfort. "Sport" setting on the ESA is now a joy in the twisties.

Thanks Rocky!!

Has anyone had any experience with Rocky's brother, Rick? I am going to have one made next week. Came HIGHLY recommended by the guys at my BMW dealership. Has a shop in Anderson, CA - near Redding. I live in Sacramento so that's closer for me. He has a very impressive website (link below). Interested in knowing if anyone has any opinions or experience.

http://www.homestead.com/prosites-rmcycle/

This is a picture of a seat on an '05 12RT:

http://www.homestead.com/prosites-rmcycle/gallery/BMW_R12RT_dual.jpg

Thanks,

I have nothing but good things to say about Rick & his seats. Seeing that you're in Sac, it's a nice ride up there to have the seat custom fitted. Any problems can be worked out on the spot.

I took I-5 up there in pain, but took the scenic route (around Lassen) back (~6 hrs on the return). No pain, all gain on the return trip.

Highly recommended.

Has anyone had any experience with Rocky's brother, Rick?

Rick made a seat for my previous bike, a K11LT. I asked for leather and he made the seat with vinyl by mistake, but he corrected the error with no fuss. I was pleased with the quality of his work.

I have a Rick Mayer seat that he made for me at a ride-in appointment in June. I've put about 5000 miles on it and I like it a lot. Its pretty supportive and I've done 400 mile days with no problem - in spite of the fact that I had the seat made a bit low so I could flatfoot the bike. It also looks great. More importantly, my wife, who's much tougher than me loves the passenger seat. Rick is a great guy and made the whole experience a lot of fun. I highly recommend him.

Rick was very very slow in refunding my seat pan deposit, but it finally arrived. The seat just didn't do it for me. I sold my Rick Mayer seat on this site, and it was sold again by the purchaser. I'm happy with the used Russell seat I also purchased here.

I have a Rick Meyer seat, it is very attractive. Every time I spoke to him he was covered up and didn't seem to know anything about my seat. There was no way to put the 1500 break in miles they suggest. The problem with the 1150 RT seat is they make you slide forward, also putting your spine at the wrong angle. The new seat was even worse. I finally had to take the seat apart and fix it myself. I built a pocket into the rear to get me level and correct my spine angle. I got my seat minus the rain cover I ordered. I was told I was on a to ship list, it never came I e-mailed about it. I got a rain cover, however it sounded like I ripped them off for a second one. The materials he uses are first rate. Everyone can have a bad day, none of us are perfect. I know I could have sent it back, however at this point after the rain cover deal I lost confidence in him. I was a saddle maker for working ranch hands and horse trainers. The two saddles are totally different in construction, spine angle is the same for up right riding.

• 3 weeks later...

I just went out and got a custom seat from Rick Mayer. I rode to his house and he made it for me right on the spot. Super nice guy. I got the hole scoop between him and his brother. Rick has been crafting seats since he worked with his dad. Rocky just got into the business recently. Anyway, I love the seat. Thought some of you might like to see it so I attached a photo. I had him do the front and back in leather. He used the stock heaters, etc. In case any of you are interested.

Archived