IGNORED

Max Load Limit?

ssn717

Hi all, I weigh 270lbs and the max load on the 1150RT is 440lbs, leaving me with 170lbs. Packing for a trip and bringing the girlfriend seems to be out of the question. Does anyone load more weight than the max? I have stock shocks and would assume that aftermarket shocks may improve the weight capacity , correct me if I'm wrong.

No not me, leave the chic home, Maybe get her own bike. One of the main reasons for me buying a bmw RT was that they have the heavyest load limit. For a sport touring bike. I think the LT will carry the heavyest load of almost any bike.

ShovelStrokeEd

OK,

You are wrong.

The load rating is mostly determined by the tires. Aftermarket shocks will allow you to overload your tires with more grace, but, overloaded never the less. For an RT, you might want to switch to the bias ply Metzler 880's made for the LT. I think they carry a higher load rating.

Conventional wisdom brings up a couple of points. Bike is designed to work with radial tires and you shouldn't use bias ply. I disagree. You should not mix bias and radial tires on the same bike. I agree.

I think you're right about the factory spec load rating being 440 lbs. The Paniers are only rated for about 22 lbs, I'm not sure about the top case, I think it's 30 lbs. Anyways, I've seen people ride two up towing a trailer, I've RT's turned into sidecar rigs (Which the owner's manual specifically states is a no no). I weight 275, 300 when loaded up, the only problem I have is getting started out in 1st gear. It's almost like BMW geared it too high and you end up slipping the clutch to get the thing moving. I can't imagine how it would be if I were loaded at the limit.as far as the tires go, I would have to agree the the tire load rating would have to be the max load I would go.

Safety first! smirk.gif

Hi all, I weigh 270lbs and the max load on the 1150RT is 440lbs, leaving me with 170lbs.

Matt,

Listen to Ed. Next tire change, go for the ME-880 Metzelers.

120X70X17 front and 160X70X17 rear. This rear tire is rated with a "C" (or light truck) rating. There is a HUGE difference in the load rating between the radials and the bias ply tires.

I've been running the ME-880 bias ply tires on my '96 R1100RT for almost 4K miles now and I love 'em. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Mick

Archived