IGNORED

which exhaust

RPG

Ok, so I just got back from the Lima rally where my wife and I had a great time. Even did the Mid-Ohio Track Day with my R90s, which kept a small on my face every lap.

So I finally decide I don't like the muffled exhaust note on my '04RT any more, and I notice that a lot of guys at the rally have different exhausts on. And just about all of them sound real nice. Not loud, just deeper.

Any preferences would be appreciated. For the most part I was looking at Ztechnik and Remus, but I'm sure there are others. Appreciate the help. Not looking for more power, etc. just want the bike to sound more like my R90s when I was wide open down the back straight at Mid-Ohio.

Am I asking WAY too much????

Rick

I have a Stainetune on my 04 RT and feel that it is a little too loud. I will probably put the standard exhaust back on.

ShovelStrokeEd

Now, if the R90S had a set of Conti's on it, we would be talking. The only thing that sounds neater, IMHO is my '91 Guzzi with La Franconia pipes on it. At 7500 that thing sounds like a NASCAR car heading toward you.

I wonder why we can't make the oil heads sound like the old airheads. Wouldn't that be sweet coming out from under the seat on the S. Hmmmm, might be time to fire up the tig welder, get a set of SS replica Conti's and have at it. Coupla angle cuts, some sparks n smoke. A bracket or two and she'd be done.

I recently installed the Remus Revolution (Titanium finish) exhaust with the straight pipe insert on my '02 R1150RT and I think the sound is just right. Not too loud and not too soft.

I'm using it with a Bbpower chip set to the program "3" setting and I really like the responsiveness of the combination. Engine seems to be just a bit fatter in the mid-range and the upper-range definitely is much stronger. Don't have tangible data (before and after dyno readings) but rather just judging it from the butt meter which can be deceiving (self fulfilling prophecy).

Cheers,

russell_bynum

Lisa has a Remus on her R1100RS and we like it.

We got the extra muffler thingy that goes where the Catalytic converter was rather than the straight pipe.

There's also a little pipe doohickey at the end of the can that you can remove to increase the sound. We leave that in because we found the sound too loud with it out.

We use the stock O2 sensor with the stock motronic map.

Ok, I saw the Remus exhaust at the Lima Rally - and I liked what I saw. The head guy and I were discussing my 98 RT - and he made the statement 'that year still had the wiring connector so you can adjust you adjustments to the mixture'.

OK - what's he talking about? I assume it has to do with the air / fuel mixture and such. What does this buy me?

Also, great question on which exahust is better...I want to know also.

Thanks

Bill

Boy...did I mess that post up! My kids were asking me questions and I posted before proofing.

Anyway, the short version was that you could put some sort of switch or dial into the wiring harness and that would allow the rider to adjust the air / fuel mixture.

Any ideas?

russell_bynum

Anyway, the short version was that you could put some sort of switch or dial into the wiring harness and that would allow the rider to adjust the air / fuel mixture.

Any ideas?

From the factory, your RT uses an O2 sensor in the exhaust (just upstream of the catalytic converter) to determine what the mixture is doing. It makes adjustments to how much fuel it delivers based on what it sees there. This is a continuous process of reading what the sensor says and adjusting the amount of gas it delivers to attempt to maintain the perfect mixture. This is known as running in "closed loop" mode.

It is (or was, anyway) possible to remove the O2 sensor, install a different Cat Code Plug (a jumper that selects different air-fuel maps in the motronic), and install a Potentiometer to manually adjust the mixture. With a proper Exhaust Gas Analyzer, you could fine-tune the mixture to best suit your purposes by adjusting the Pot.

Hopefully that answers your question.

R1100RT_Ray

Can't you just drill a few small holes in the back of the muffler? We did that to our Intruder and it sounded better. It sounded like a small lawn mower before, now it sounds like a lagre garden tractor.

Archived