IGNORED

Starter SCREECH on my R80RT

R80RTKen

So the past 2 days when I hit the button, a horrible screech comes from the motor.. It starts.. but it sounds awful..

The motor does not make any odd noises.. It sounds like its the starter.. Tonight Im going to take it apart and have a look-see. Im worried I'll find a ground tooth on the starter or the flywheeel..

Anyone had this problem? Any ideas what I might find? Do these starters die a noisy death?

thanks

-Ken

I had this same problem with my R1150RT.

Rememdy:

remove starter, clean, regrease with silocone grease, reassemble and reinstall. This should solve your problem.

Good luck!

So.. Last night I tear the bike down to the starter.. Remove tank.. fight with the airbox removal needed to get at the starter bolts.. get the thing all torn apart and pull out the starter..takes about an hour to get to it.. Looks OK.. Teeth not ground up.. Flywheel looks good too.. not chewed... hmm what could be the problem.. well I jsut button it all back up and ride it to work..

Now I read that I should have lubed it.. I bet I can get to it in half an hour this time... LOL

So it goes..

:-)

Thanks for the advice!

-Ken

Hey Ken,

Make sure you clean the heck out of it with a few good bursts of carb cleaner. Mine was filthy and I used an entire can. Lube it after as suggested and ride on. If not, your starter may stick in the engaged position and the only fix is to pull the battery lead. DAMHIK!

Good luck,

Steve

Archived