IGNORED

New Motor

itroop

Hi everyone. Has anyone experienced this. I have an 02 1150RT. When i bought it from the dealer, the top end had just been rebuilt and I was told to bring it in 600 miles later to re-torque the heads, which I did. Since then it had not been running right, just kinda stumbling. Took it in quite a few times but they really couldn't find the problem with it. One side kept having a lower compression than the other. This time I took it in and the dealer found the crank had been scored. Now they're saying that I will need a new motor or rebuild the low end.

Couple of things. First is I'm glad they finally tracked down the problem. Second is, I bought a two year extended warranty that's paying for it all. This will be the first time an extended warranty will have been put to use by me. Personally, I hope they put in a new motor. I'm hoping to get the bike back in great condition at the end of this week or the begining of next week.

Wish me luck.

ShovelStrokeEd

A question arises here. From the information you provided, the cranking compression pressure is too low in one cylinder. A scored crankshaft will not cause this. A scored cylinder wall, yes. Are you sure you interpreted what your dealer told you correctly? I know the insurance is going to pay, or at least they should, but, if the dealer told you the crank was the cause of the bad compression, I'd press for a new engine and then change dealers.

If indeed you have a scored crank, my guess would be that the top end was replaced after someone ran it out of oil. There could be all manner of hidden damage that could account for the low compression, etc. And if it ran well before the 600 mile service.......I would suspect that it got run after the oil was drained, not refilled. All just edjumicated guesses, but I would be holding out for a fresh motor........Good Luck!

Archived