IGNORED

Lost Clutch control fluid

AZ Cliff

2002 R1150RT 33k miles. 30K dealer serviced. I very suddenly noticed that the clutch did not disengage until the lever was pulled all the way to the hand grip and engaged very suddenly when released just a bit. Checked the clutch fluid handlebar reservoir and it was almost emply. Added DOT 4 brake fluid and it seems to work better but feels like the line needs to be bled. I pulled the skin off to see if I could see any evidence of leakage but could not. The fluid must have gone someplace. Any suggestions as to what to do next, with limited mechanical experience and tools, or should I just take it to the dealer?

ShovelStrokeEd

Chances are your slave cylinder has failed. The bad news is the fluid can wind up in the clutch area so don't put any more fluid in till you have fixed the problem.

The slave cylinder is located on the rear of the transmission kinda behind the swing arm. If you have the tools, you can get in there and change it yourself. Its not easy requiring a joint in your forearm where God didn't put one, or a the very least some long hex sockets.

Probably about 2 hours service time at the dealer, maybe 3.

You can see the whole deal here

Archived