IGNORED

Help me Get My 96 R1100RT Runing Again

timboaz

Yesterday, about 20 miles after I left the 2005 BMW Rally, my bike started acting up. I had 249 miles on last tank of gas I had put in the old baby and the low fuel light came on which means I have at least 30 miles left before I have to fill up. It was hot at over 90 deg, and the bike began to act like it was running out of gas, so I pulled off the road immediately in Bellefontaine and filled up with premium. Problem solved, I thought; but then I took off down Rt 33 toward Columbus and the bike continued to act like it was low on fuel. It continued to run, but each time I tried to accelerate the bike would try to die, I would downshift and get higher revs of about 4-5m rpm and the bike would run good. However, each time I tried to upshift, it would cough and sputter until I downshifted. I stopped after about 10 miles and put in some injector cleaner but this did not help. I nursed it home to Newark, OH another 50 miles. I have no idea what is wrong. This morning I took off the tupperware and did a Twinmax balance after changing plugs. Still not running right. Thought it could be fuel filter, but why would it run at higher rpm if starved for fuel. What is next and cheapest and easiest to do? I will set the valves tomorrow, but just did that 3000 mi ago. Oil level looks good as does air filter. Help!

2nd the filter. same thing happened to me on my 93 LT.

and depending on what injector cleaner you used. if you didn't run through the entire tank with the cleaner you might find the fuel line is starting to break down and really clog the filter.

ShovelStrokeEd

When this happened on my '94 it turned out to be debris in the fuel pump inlet screen. Some really bad gas from a couple of tanks ago had actually clogged the screen and caused it to corrode so badly it collapsed. The fuel pump eventually died as well.

It could also be the fuel filter but when that goes it takes out the high RPM running as well.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Sure sounds like a fuel filter to me.

That's where I would start.

Can a filter swap be averted by using a water-absorbing fuel additive (usually alcohols, yes?)? If the pump is able to move any fuel through the filter, then once the additive is put into the tank, could this remove the water from the filter and restore free-flow again? With an external filter I guess I wouldn't hesitate to swap, but if OP still has the in-tank filter, then an additive would be a lot easier than swapping.

(assuming water is the problem here...)

I had a similar problem with my '02. I tried a gas drier first......Made it worse. I figured I needed to change the fuel filter, but I had a full tank, so I rigged up a siphon. First gallon I siphoned out had at least a pint of water. (I purposely put the tube on the bottom of the tank). Since I hadn't taken the bike apart, and it only had 13k, I gave it a try. Ran much better, and was completely fine after a few miles.

The water seems to stop at the screen ahead of the filter. Just my experience. Good Luck!

Easy check,

Since you have the tupperware off,pull the fuel line off one of the injectors,put the end down into a LARGE plastic drink bottle and crank the engine.You should get a healthy stream of gas,about the size of the line.If not the filter is probably plugged or the pump is going out.Start looking elsewhere if there is a good stream.

Took it to Mathias BMW yesterday since I didn't want to be messing with all that gasoline. Thanks for suggestions, but nothing easy worked.

Archived