IGNORED

Bag Heat Shield Pad

motorman54

Has anyone else had the problem of the LH Bag Heat Shield Pad falling off?? I found it lying in the floor of the garage after a 260 mile ride the other day. Any suggestions on what type of adhesive will stand up to the heat? Any other alternatives to the rather cheap pad? I have heard that without it the Left side bag bottom will melt.

Put it this way, it's been heard of before. You don't need real high-temp cement, RTV it back on and you're good to go.

I never had any luck over the long term with any glue.

So I drillled six 1/8th" holes in it and pop riveted it into place. Since then it has not tried to go anywhere I wasn't going.

For those who are challenged by planning and who have a startling ability to overlook the obvious, (among whose number I count myself from time to time) let me add that you should install the rivets with the head inside the bag.

Pilgrim

Put it this way, it's been heard of before. You don't need real high-temp cement, RTV it back on and you're good to go.

Not only heard of but experienced it. blush.gifeek.gifbncry.gif

Not only did it melt but it caught FIRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifbncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gif

At work right now, will post a picture of the results of running without the heat shield tonight when I get home.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

So I drillled six 1/8th" holes in it and pop riveted it into place. Since then it has not tried to go anywhere I wasn't going.

Do the rivets transfer any heat inside the bag, or is it no big deal?

Mine has started to come loose twice in 6 years. It hasn't fallen off completely and I've used whatever silicone adhesive I had lying around.

Thanks for the heads up! Mine is gone and I'm embarassed to say that I don't know if it ever had one. The good news is that 25k later and the bag is OK. I know I live in Canada where it's cold but the exhaust gets hot just the same. DAMHIK.

Do the rivets transfer any heat inside the bag, or is it no big deal?

Mine has started to come loose twice in 6 years. It hasn't fallen off completely and I've used whatever silicone adhesive I had lying around.

Not that I ever noticed. I don't think it gets that hot.

Pilgrim

R1100RT_Ray

A guy named Fred down in Miami had his K12RS bag catch fire. BMW had to replace the whole back end of the bike.

Don't put the ammo in the very bottom.

Thanks to everyone for the info.....Yes, it definitely looks like the Heat Shield is important to secure in place.

Thanks for the grafic pictures of your misfortune. I hope that damage was covered by your warranty..........

Yeeha! Stephen

Ditto

I used RTV.

Havent had mine attached for 29k miles and see no distortion/overheating of the plastic..., looks just like new. Guess I might be tempting fate though seeing those pics of the destroyed case.

Ditto

I used RTV.

When it comes to what to use, the important thing is not that some, or even most, people have had good luck with glue. I did too, for a while. I used RTV after a good surface prep with degreaser, then electronic cleaner, then alcohol, and the stuff still let go finally.

I'm not arguing with those who have used it successfully. They are out there, and good for them, but the thing you need to pay attention to is how many failures are there in the group that has used glue. And there are a lot.

That's why I decided to go for a mechanical attachment, the pop rivets. Glue is great, but can you count on it for an application that can, under some circumstances, be critical. Lose your shield on a hot day when you're running hard, and what can you wind up with? Well, there are pictures.

Pilgrim

Mine fell off just after i bought the bike. The shop got me a new bag instead of just the shield. eek.gif But I did'nt complain.

For those who are challenged by planning and who have a startling ability to overlook the obvious, (among whose number I count myself from time to time) let me add that you should install the rivets with the head inside the bag.

What are you calling the heads? I riveted mine on a year or two ago. I have the flat end of the pop rivets outside and the round ball end inside. This has the disadvantage of being a minor obstruction inside, but the advantage of having the large bearing surface outside holding the flimsy aluminum foil of the heat shield. I have never noticed any effect of the rivets conducting heat into the case or its contents.

What are you calling the heads? I riveted mine on a year or two ago. I have the flat end of the pop rivets outside and the round ball end inside. This has the disadvantage of being a minor obstruction inside, but the advantage of having the large bearing surface outside holding the flimsy aluminum foil of the heat shield. I have never noticed any effect of the rivets conducting heat into the case or its contents.

I put the flat end of the rivet inside to avoid having the "sharp" end in there where it could chew up something like a bag liner or a can of beer or my rubber and leather suit and whip.

blush.gifeek.gif

At the same place you buy pop rivets you can buy little washers designed to go on the shank of the rivet before you set it. They act as a bearing surface to keep the tender surface from tearing out around the shank.

I've never noticed the slightest trace of heat transmission via the rivets to the inside of the bag, either.

Pilgrim

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I used RTV after a good surface prep with degreaser, then electronic cleaner, then alcohol, and the stuff still let go finally....That's why I decided to go for a mechanical attachment, the pop rivets

Hmmm. The first time I reattached it using silicone adhesive (is that RTV?) and wiped the plastic down with alcohol first. The second time it started delaminating so I just squirted some silicone in between the layers and mushed it down. I think if I notice happening again I'll buy a new heat shield, glue and rivet it. Besides, I've wanted a rivet tool for other projects! grin.gif

Archived