IGNORED

Found in GS gas tank...can you identify?

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Popped the fuel filter plate off and lo' and behold, this was laying in the puddle of gas inside the tank. Sorry for the fuzzy photo, but I've been sniffing gas all afternoon in the heat; and, it's the 1st pix I've taken with my Treo.

It's a plastic, rocket-shaped cylinder, 3/4" in diameter; 2-1/4" from nose to tail with four pieces of what appear to be lead.

Is this a misguided idea of a fuel saver?

GS_gas_tank_black_thingy.jpg

ShovelStrokeEd

Looks to me to be some form of concrete expansion anchor. Slip into hole, bang, using a BFH and some form of drift then attatch using a self tapping screw into the lead. Its not on the GS parts fiche.

John Ranalletta

Ed, it's a plastic sleeve holding four metal "biscuits" or ingots. Look like sinkers for a catfish line. The plastic acts like a cage, trapping each sinker in its own shelf, separated from its neighbors by a washer.

My best guess is that it's somebody's idea of snake oil for increasing fuel economy. I, too, did not find the part on the fiches.

ericfoerster

It one of those mileage extenders or fuel cleaner things. I used to see them at the Harley shows. I can't remember the name of them. They were supposed to stop pinging and increase fuel mileage.

They were supposed to make a superbike out of anything by just dropping one in your tank.

They also claimed you needed no fuel stabilizer during winter storage with one of these.

If I get real bored I'll pull out some old Harley Mags and get you the name of it.

Eric is right on. I also used to see them at Harley shows. Just another snake oil scam.
I hear they solve surging in BMWs. wink.gif
John Ranalletta
Eric is right on. I also used to see them at Harley shows. Just another snake oil scam.
I hear they solve surging in BMWs. wink.gif
Hmmmm.... My GS doesn't surge, and, if I leave it out and it starts surging...... dopeslap.gif
Slip into hole, bang, using a BFH and some form of drift .

Ha! I haven't heard anyone refer to a BFH since my days as a pole monkey for Ma Bell!

Eric, I thought as much. I'll leave it out.

If your bike starts running funny, my bet is that you'll stick it back in without telling us. smile.gif

John Ranalletta
Eric, I thought as much. I'll leave it out.

If your bike starts running funny, my bet is that you'll stick it back in without telling us. smile.gif

I might just put 2 of 'em in...one on each side.

That device is called a "backfire gasket" In recent years it has taken a back seat to the once popular high-speed disenator. Of course you can blame the popularity of fuel injection for this.

ericfoerster

The Fitch Fuel Catalyst Advantage: Quicker throttle response

Increase Miles Per Gallon

Save you Money

Good for the life of the engine

Keep Fuel Fresh During Storage

Reduce or Eliminate Engine Knock and Ping

Allow the Use of Lower Octane Fuel

Help pass emissions tests for a cleaner environment

Keep injectors, carburetors, and spark plugs clean

Provide for easier starting

Cures the Surge