IGNORED

First Aid Kit

tomk99r11

Last Sun. a couple of us were riding Independence Pass in CO. On the downward side we came upon a HD down in a ditch and the rider sprawled out. A couple who had seen his accident stood by. Must have just happened. We stopped and I grabbed a First Aid Kit I had bought because of seeing a similar incident out in the middle of nowhere last year. This guy had bounced his head (helmeted!) off the pavement and had a severe laceration on his left knee. No one there at the time, nor any of those who subsequently stopped, had a first aid kit. A woman with emt training came by, also without a kit, to help. We got his knee bandaged with my kit. His injury was not as severe as it appeared. But, I like to think that my kit was a big help. Others headed for help as no one could get cell phone service at altitude. We proceeded down the mountain as a knowledgeable emt was with the guy. It took over an hour for help to be seen coming up the mountain.

I encourage everyone to carry a first aid kit. Never know when you might help someone else, or need it yourself. Of course, knowledge of first aid is important.

FWIW.

I have carried a First-aid-Kit for years on my bike. I bought it several years ago from Aerostich as I knew I would never put one together myself. I'm not an EMT, but having a little first aid knowledge and a small kit can pay pretty big dividends. Even if it is only to clean up a wound and keep other bystanders from freaking out by the blood, etc. Good call to carry the kit. thumbsup.gif

Danny_Archibald

I have found that the first aid kits that come with a Mercedes or Lexus are nice, complete and packed so they take up very little space. I have bought one for each of my bikes. You can find them on Ebay.

I have one stowed in the top box in my RT-P, the kit includes CPR kit, ice patch, eyewash,thongs, and off course the usual gauze, band aids,... even a corkscrew and plastic cups (for a nice bottle of wine down the road)I used it once when I wrecked my LT-E

I carry a first aid kit and a basic first aid handbook as permanent m/c accessories. I think it's a big mistake not to. IMO, broadly speaking, it's a necessary component of ATGATT.

I find the first Aid kits pretty dinky. Most of 'em are good for little Johnny's scraped knees when he falls of his bycicle and needs an ouchless. However I do carry one as well, to make me feel better.

First point, attend a first aid seminar and practice what you learn.

If you come across a severely injured individual, make sure he is breathing, if not give CPR. If he is bleeding from a severed artery, your belt doubles as a turnekey. Your shirt, ripped in sheets, will make good compression bandages for heavy bleeding wounds (ask a bystander to keep good pressure on it). A pertruding bone should be coverd (don't wory about sterilization, you won't achieve a sterile environment anyhow at the side of the road).

Stabilize head without moving it. Make sure he is not choking on his tongue or vomit. Grab the tongue, pull it out and use a safety pin, or similar to attach it to the cheek, if he keeps swallowing it. If there are severed limbs ask if anyone has a cooler and put them on ice.

The main point of first aid is to stabilize the individual,

the paramedics will take over with the right stuff, when they arrive.

Tuff stuff, but it could be you down there, and you won't critisize someone if the first aid given, employed somewhat crude methods, but saved your live.

Archived