IGNORED

Garmin Quest on an R1200ST (Pictures)

BitScribbler

BitScribbler

I thought some people might be vaguely interested in seeing how have my Garmin Quest mounted to my R12ST. I already had the Quest motorcycle mount, and needed the BMW mounting parts for the BMW sat-nav, which is compatible, being a Garmin unit itself. (Mind you, the stealer stiffed me £78 for two simple parts!)

07220001.jpg

07220002.jpg

07220003.jpg

07220004.jpg

07220005.jpg

07220006.jpg

I reckon this means a tank bag is a no-no, but the salesman advises me that the BMW ST tank-bag takes account of this sat-nav location - hmmm, we shall see.

BitScribbler
excuse my simpleness, but how is the base of the unit mount attached to the "tank"?

Not a simple question at all, rather a good one actually. The answer is: I don't know! The dealer fitted it as part of the PDI.

What I can tell you is this:

The Garmin cradle is mounted to BMW part x (sorry don't know the part number) that is common to the RT, GS etc. On the RT this part can be mounted directly apparently, but on the ST you need a further part that is attached to the tank and supports the rest of the kit. Given that the power supply appears out of this part and connects to the Quest, my conclusion is that mounting involves a hole in the tank body. This is however the official BMW solution to mounting their own sat-nav on the ST, so I'm sure it's all done in the best possible taste.

I am due to have the 600 mile service on Thursday, so I will be sure to get complete clarification then.

That mount looks nice. I went a little different with my Lawrance iWay100m. I used the RAM mount that came with it. I mounted one of the balls directly to the upper triple tree. Just a couple smalls holes and tapped them. I don't use my GPS too often and this install leaves very little behind. I've attached a photo.

537337-gps_on_st.jpg.c885c695682d58b0345cf9283e378e34.jpg

John Bentall

S'funny - I was at Rainbow this afternoon and they happened to mention what a nightmare the fitting was!

BitScribbler
what a nightmare the fitting was!

Mine was done at Blue Bell in Crewe... apparently the techie there would concur heartily with your remark!

John Bentall

I'm cracking up totally - I was at Blue Bell not Rainbow - first visit ever (En-route from Tarporley to N.London). Seemed like a friendly bunch. No discounts on last years clothing - they had a 3-year old Streetguard jacket at full price!

Archived