IGNORED

think i broke something today

catmandoo

well went to take the bike out today and hopped on and popped it off the center stand,and for some dumb reason i had left it there in gear,well when it hit the ground it came to a quick stop,now when i'm taking off letting out the clutch i get a nice clunk,where i never had one before,if i'm rolling say in first slow 5mph or so if i pull and release the clutch it will clunk every time i let the clutch out,sounds like it's right underneath me,anyway rode 130 miles today and no strange noises or vibrations,what do you think it could be,u-joint?clutch splines??

ShovelStrokeEd

If your clutch splines were on the way out, you might have twisted them a bit more and gotten the clunk, it is usually accompanied by some rough clutch engagement or release though. Too much end play in the input shaft can generate the same but, since the gears have been straight cut and ball bearings in use since '97, I doubt that that's a problem. Might be drive shaft, I doubt the U-joints have failed but you might have slipped the internal splines which form a cushion between final drive and transmission output shaft. This would show up in on/off throttle transitions as well.

Hard to say without hearing the noise and riding the bike. Might be a good idea to check the swing arm and final drive bearings for play.

well went to take the bike out today and hopped on and popped it off the center stand,and for some dumb reason i had left it there in gear,well when it hit the ground it came to a quick stop,now when i'm taking off letting out the clutch i get a nice clunk,where i never had one before,if i'm rolling say in first slow 5mph or so if i pull and release the clutch it will clunk every time i let the clutch out,sounds like it's right underneath me,anyway rode 130 miles today and no strange noises or vibrations,what do you think it could be,u-joint?clutch splines??

Mine has been doing the same thing for a couple of weeks now. it's going in to the shop on saturday so they can figure it out...hopefully nothing to drastic, but it sure does sound ugly frown.gif

i'll let you know what they tell me!

dave

yeah it don't sound too good,but as far as shifting goes,it seemed like it was a little tougher at first but after about 30 miles or so it actually shifts better then before,feels alot more solid,before it just felt like sometimes it wasn't fully engaged.

Think I'll follow this thread a while and see what ideas are generated. I have the exact symptoms on my '04 RT which, I think in retrospect, started after a few miles on a rough gravel road. I also hear it if I pull in the clutch and hit a bump (i.e. coasting to a stop at a light). Just had my 6000mi service last week and they didn't find anything. It does have me a bit worried.

Stickerbush
hopped on and popped it off the center stand,and for some dumb reason i had left it there in gear,well when it hit the ground it came to a quick stop,now when i'm taking off letting out the clutch i get a nice clunk,where i never had one before

Hard to imagine that this would be more impact to the drivetrain than a hard downshift.

fuuny thing is i've done this 3 or 4 times ,don't know why i don't pop it in neutral before putting on the center stand,but the noise definatly was not there the day before.also with the back wheel off the ground in gear i'd say i can move the wheel probably 6 inchs back and forth before it stops.i'll check the actual measurement tomorrow.

~hey lego did you find anything out on your's???~

No, the dealer i took it too told me it was normal...

bunch of b.s!!

especially since it's starting to not want to downshift correctly...I had to make a quick stop today, and i couldn't get it out of third gear and back in to first for what seemed like an eternity. I tried the pulling in of the clutch and slowly letting it out routine while preloading the shifter but, it just did not want to downshift.

So, it's now going into a different dealer. One that at least listened too what i had to say with some patience and seemed concerned that it may be splines...

Anyway, it goes in first thing saturday. I hope to at least get a better answer then!

i'll let ya know what they say!

dave

yeah ,i know mine was normal and now it's not,how some dealers are in business is beyond me,i guess they live by the addage,there's a sucker born every minute.as far as mine is concerned,it doesn't sound like it's up in the clutch area,it sounds like it's right around the front u-joint location.

I don't get it??? The dealers make money off repairs, so whats the big deal? Just listen to the customers, they ride the bikes & know what is going on with the machines. Geesh! If it is sticking in gear, just rev the motor a little with the clutch in & it should slip out. At least mine would. I had the dreaded spline thing also. But it is fixed now.

Well, I had it at the dealer saturday and had them look at the clutch clunking thing.....and according to the tech there it is normal also. I don't see how it can be normal considering it didn't do that before? I told the tech the very same thing and he went out to the parking lot and started up two different R1150Rt's and they both did the same thing...

I heard it with my own ears or I wouldn't of believed him.

Anyway, I still don't see how it can be normall but at least I have my complaint documented with two different dealers. So, if something drastic does happen at least I will have some recourse. Time will tell smirk.gif

Dave

wish i would have known that yesterday,i was in sioux city and could have stopped by the dealer to check it out myself,i still think there is something wrong in there.

Jim VonBaden
fuuny thing is i've done this 3 or 4 times ,don't know why i don't pop it in neutral before putting on the center stand,but the noise definatly was not there the day before.also with the back wheel off the ground in gear i'd say i can move the wheel probably 6 inchs back and forth before it stops.i'll check the actual measurement tomorrow.

I intentionally keep my bike in gear going on the centerstand. If I take it off by hand, rather than riding it off, I don't wantit to get away from me when I pull it off the centerstand. I have done it in neutral a couple times and almost lost it.

Point is, it shouldn't hurt a healthy bike.

Jim cool.gif

Bill Dennes

How many miles are on your bike?

Does it make a clunky rattle when it's running and the clutch is disengaged?

Having just suffered total clutch spline wipeout, I'm sensitive to this right now. It sounds like you're close to spline failure.

Something else that can cause crummy shifting is a dry or poorly adjusted clutch cable. Wouldn't cause the "clunk," though.

frown.gif

On a cage it would be the u-joints. Don't know if the same applies here. Something worn in the drivetrain. I would start at the back and work forward.

Archived