IGNORED

are factory speakers worth it?

Danny_Archibald

Danny_Archibald

Hello, I need some help. I purchased a 03 1150RT and it has the radio prep kit. I am going to install a stereo and am wondering if anyone knows how good the factory speakers are or should I replace them. Thanks

[edit: gave it a useful title]

They're better than nothing at slow speeds, but many people dump them and go the helmet speakers, or in-ear bud speakers route. With all the MP3 players, Ipod, etc. options out there today, there seems little reason to have an on-the-bike stereo.

My bike came with the radio and speakers. I think they are totally useless. I can only hear them at very slow speeds. I am now using an Autocom with in ear speakers/plugs. What a diference. I would highly recommend going that direction.

Lets_Play_Two

I have the factory installed package that came with the black special. I can hear the radio at up to 70+ mph...of course it isn't audiophile quality, but then why would you want that outside of your living room. I agree that if listening is serious, in-ear speakers from some other source would be a better choice.

Danny_Archibald

Thanks for the info. As to the headphone speakers, I tried the headphone bud style and they irritated my ears after a short while. Do yours? I then hooked up a mix it audio amp and just let the bugs hang out in the helmet and the sound was good volume wise, but still sounded poor. I have speakers in my H.D and it sounds great. I guess I am looking for that same way to go.

What brand of helmet speakers did you find comfortable?

Paul_Burkett

One thing that you need to consider is the preservation of your hearing. Loud wind noise + speaker noise + every thing else, I went with AZ Al and his great set up.(mailto:customearplugs@cox.net)

What you haveis a custom molded ear plugs that have speakers inside of them. With this set up, you cut out most of the out side noise and have quality sound at a low volume setting. You can still hear what is going on around you, and in the long run, you will save your hearing.

Bill_Walker

I'll chime in here with another that the factory stereo is worthless, especially if you wear earplugs to protect your hearing (as you should). I suppose if you want to play music at your campsite, the factory stereo and speakers might be adequate. At speed, fuggedaboudit.

That being said, the previous owner of my bike put his iPod with an FM transmitter and RF remote in the tail section and played it through the factory system and was happy with it. I don't think he wore ear plugs, though.

Archived