IGNORED

Oilhead Fuel Filter Article

Dex

I seem to recall seeing an article in a recent edition of the BMWMOA's ON describing how to change the fuel filter on 11XX Oilheads. I can't seem to find that magazine (of course, I've found all of the others). Does anyone have a copy of that article that they could send my way. I'm helping a friend change his next weekend. Thanks in advance. poindexters@"remove"earthlink.net

ShovelStrokeEd

Dex,

I don't have the article handy but this is really some pretty simple stuff and well covered with a bit of searching on this site.

You don't really even need any parts or special tools.

A replacement, till the old one dries and returns to shape, O-ring for the mounting plate is handy.

There is a tool for removing Chevy door handles that works great for prying off both ends of the filter hose even with the factory clamps in place. You then push the rose back over the new filter and give the clamp a bit of a squeeze with a pair of diagonal cutting pliers. Tank off, plate out, swap filter, replace O-ring, plate back on, tank back on, fire up and check for leaks, tupperware back on and Bob's your uncle.

When are you doing this? I'll be in Baton Rouge the week of the 18th, a quick ride over to Houston isn't out of the question. I work for beer and barbecue.

I seem to recall seeing an article in a recent edition of the BMWMOA's ON describing how to change the fuel filter on 11XX Oilheads. I can't seem to find that magazine (of course, I've found all of the others). Does anyone have a copy of that article that they could send my way. I'm helping a friend change his next weekend. Thanks in advance. poindexters@"remove"earthlink.net

Not sure if this is what your talking about.

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/external_filter_R1150RT/index.shtml

FWIW, I just re-located mine on my '02 RT and all went well. The hardest part for me was getting the danged o-ring on the tank to sit still long enough to install the pump assembly and install the screws. Also I zip tied the filter next to the rear shock adjuster, inside the black body panel. Now I don't have to pull the tuperware to change it, but the filter is visable as heck, sticks out like a sore thumb. So, either someday I'll re-re-locate it or amke use of some speaker cover fabric I have laying around and cover it up so's I can't see it. Don't think the fabric would hold up in the wind so I'll most likey re-re-locate it.

Indy

John_Bennett

> "I zip tied the filter next to the rear shock adjuster, inside the black body panel."

I did mine last weekend. I zip-tied it in the same place as you. I like seeing the filter through that hole in the black sidecover. I can even see the install date I wrote on it.

Hi Dex!!

There are some pics and a short walk-through on removing the tupperware and tank here.

And there are some more pics for an uncompleted walk-through on the fuel filter here.

Good Luck!

Archived