IGNORED

Techlusion R259, Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

Softtail

After much debate and mental anguish I purchased and installed a Techlusion R259 on my R1150RT. I debated about it because I feared the unknown, taking all that stuff off and then installing an electrical device about which I really don't have a clue. Well, it couldn't have been easier, I have had all the plastic off 5 or six times, but never the tank, god not the tank!! Anyway, with a little help it was a snap and installation of the unit was a no brainer. Make sure you have a bunch of zip ties and new O rings for your fuel lines. I finally decided to get one of these fuel controllers because I have a Stayintune exhaust, sans cat converter and I new that the factory brain was mapped with the converter in mind. I keep reading about surging in the R bikes, but have never been sure what "surging" really means. I also ride a 1991 FXSTC (Softail Custom) and surging is not something I worry about. On my first ride I knew immediately what surging was and why I had installed the Techlusion device. Now the bike is dead on smooth at any speed. If I choose to cruise at 3900 rpm in 5th, I no longer get this feeling that I am riding a fine line between acceleration and deceleration. Although I love the looks and sound of my Stayintune exhaust, I have not been real happy with the back firing or popping on deceleration, especially decending a hill of any kind. That is gone, not a pop or bang, just a tune you could dance to. Why didn't I do this two years ago?? thumbsup.gif

I have a 2000RT also with surging issues. I just got the bike and will do a careful valve adjust and TBS. If that doesn't solve the problem I may go the route of the Techlusion box. I've really enjoyed the bike so far but the surging has got to be tended to! Does the R259 come already adjusted for a plug and play install or do you have to tweak it to make things run right?

Mark

You will need a digital volt meter (DVM) to adjust the four pots to the proper voltages. It is simple to do but impossible without the DVM.

You will need a digital volt meter (DVM) to adjust the four pots to the proper voltages. It is simple to do but impossible without the DVM.

Excellent advice. Mine was installed by a dealer (I admit it, I'm a wimp about the fuel tank), who supposedly used a voltmeter. The results out the door were "okay" -- better than before but not the panacea I was expecting.

When I subsequently checked the unit, three of the four potentiometer settings were wrong, one not even close to the target level. With those corrected, it's a panacea.

So what's everybody using for settings? confused.gif

I just installed the R259 in my 04 1150r, with no CCP as it came from the dealer.

I did a little research, and decided to cut the recommended settings WAY down and tune them up as necessary.

My R surged a bit, but not a hell of alot. I don't like lean maps and wanted some adjustability.

I've run only 100mi or so with the Techlusion, and the mild surging just about completely gone.

Show me yours and I'll show you mine.... ooo.gif

i was under the impression that the dual plug setup resolved the surging issue. if not then i will procure one as well during my initial bike setup.

i was under the impression that the dual plug setup resolved the surging issue. if not then i will procure one as well during my initial bike setup.

I've read most of the debate about this, here and on other boards.

All I can say is my 04 R, bought this past May, came w/o a CCP and surged slightly from the get go. The TBs and valves were taken care of at the 600mi check, which did not help AFAICT.

I subsequently checked the TB sync and they were spot on...even with my TwinMax perched on the gas tank at 70mph. I assume the dealer did the same excellent job on the valves, but I have not checked. I have not stressed over the TPS, because I've read that Motronic 2.4 does not have that concern. Who knows...

My advice chrisx is to put some miles on first and see how YOUR bike runs.

I did 2700mi before I decided on the Techlusion. I've only done 100mi with it so far, but I can already tell that the mild surging I had is virtually gone.

And I've got LOTS of headroom in the R259 settings to improve on this, before I get anywhere close to the recommended ones...

Stickerbush

After a couple of years of believing it heresy to put what I considered a band aid on such a fine machine I purchased a Techlusion R259 for my R1100R this past week. Installed it in about 45 minutes, very easy. So far I am quite happy with the out-of-the-box settings but will probably play around with tweaking them in the future. Now the bike runs as I always thought it should, I'm a happy customer. No more surging, no more exhaust popping on deceleration.

A voltmeter is not only a good idea, but absolutely essential in installing a Techlusion unit. There is no such thing as "OUT OF THE BOX SETTINGS". I called the factory rep and asked if they preset the Base Setting either manually or with a voltmeter and he said NO. I did so because when I looked at the inside of my new R259 unit, the clock positions did not even come close to those shown in the installation instructions. When I checked them with the voltmeter, they were not even close. But, with a little patience, you can set the unit up with your $25.00 multimeter. The little dials are extermely sensitive however and a slight adjustment makes alot of difference!! Oh, by the way, the installation instructions which come with the unit suck!! The installation instructions which can be down loaded from the Techlusion web site are far more detailed. thumbsup.gif

Archived