IGNORED

R12RT Lighting Modifications

Jon_M

Now that my break-in service has been done, I am starting to consider some modest aftermarket modifications on the R12RT. I am electrically challenged, so would appreciate advice on the following:

Has anyone installed a headlight modulator on this model? The Kisan modulator on my old K11LT was a dead simple plug-in model that went between the bulb and its receptacle --no wiring required, except for the one that went to the daylight sensor. I don't see that model listed for the R12RT.

Can I bump the H7 high beam from 55w to 80w without melting the reflector or adding a relay? After I have done more night riding, I may decide this is unnecessary, but I would like to know what others are doing. Driving lights are also a possibility, but I will definitely put that off until I know the bike better.

How about brakelight enhancements, any recommendations?

I am a bit obsessive about "conspicuity," as you can probably tell!

roadshadowww

Jon,

Can't answer the Kisan question.

I've replaced all three H7 bulbs with the Piaa SuperWhite items. No problems

I've also added Piaa 1100 driving lights, one under each mirror.

Jon,

Can't answer the Kisan question.

I've replaced all three H7 bulbs with the Piaa SuperWhite items. No problems

I've also added Piaa 1100 driving lights, one under each mirror.

How would you describe the improvement? I just got back from a short ride up Angeles Crest, a pitch dark, narrow, twisty mountain road. I thought the stock lights were pretty bright, but I did not like the pattern on the road: sharp cutoffs between the bright and dark areas and poor illumination of the near distance and the shoulders of the road.

My previous bike had the PIAA 1100s and I miss them. They just flooded the foreground and made night riding much more comfortable. Tonight, I found I was quickly outrunning the lights, and it made for a nervous ride. Returning home on a short, straight stretch of freeway, it was a different game. There, the stock lights were just fine.

How did you mount the PIAAs? Is there a bracket that works, or did you bolt them to the mirror housings?

Has anyone installed a headlight modulator on this model?
Can't speak directly to the R1200RT model, but I put one on our R1200GS with no issues. I used the Kisan splice-in model P115W-H3. I'm modulating the high beam so I can flip it off during the day if I don't want it. On the older R1150RTs I installed them on the fog lights.
roadshadowww

The headlight distance was increased of course by the rise in color temp and the cutoffs as you called them were reduced.

I agree the 12RT headlight system is better than that of my 04 RT but adding the Superwhites makes it just that much better than stock. Plus you're not blinding anyone.

On the Piaa 1100's I mounted them to the fairing extentions that become the mirror mounts. I drilled the fairing itself and mounted the lights directly.

The improved vision distance, or not riding out of your light, is greatly improved. The mounting location does kinda force the lights to be aimed mid-low so on coming vehicles don't flash me.

Both these improvements to me, were worth the costs.

What is the part number for the Piaa Superwhite bulbs?? I would like to order them..How much do they cost??

thanks,

Dave

2005 R1200 RT

2005 Sportster 1200 Custom HD

2002 K1200 LTE

2005 Dodge Magnum RT/Hemi

1997 C5 corvette

On the Piaa 1100's I mounted them to the fairing extentions that become the mirror mounts. I drilled the fairing itself and mounted the lights directly.

How did you switch the Piaa's? Did you run an autoswitch or separate switch?

H7 bulbs are about $51 each.

If you Froogle around, you can find the "PIAA H7 Xtreme White" for as little as $65 for the Twin Pack.

I notice on the PIAA website that they also have an 80w H7 bulb. Has anyone tried that one?

Archived