IGNORED

oil cooler fan, good idea?

chrisx

looking for some feedback on a thermo controlled fan ala the police units. coming from the water cooled world of saab turbos, i consider heat my mortal enemy. i live in the nw but we get traffic jams here too and eventually this bike will see the entire US, this includes warm weather climates. who else has done the oil cooler fan and why? ( or how as well if a non stock self engineered setup.

thanx

chris

ShovelStrokeEd

IMHO, it should be standard equipment on all the R bikes.

You can probably save 50% on the costs by sourcing the fan from somebody like Newark Electronics.

I have mounted them very succesfully using wire ties through the oil cooler fins. A simple toggle switch, a fuse and a bit of wiring and your done. You only need the thremostat if your bike doesn't have a rider information display and probably not even then with a little bit of common sense.

DavidEBSmith

It probably should be standard equipment, but IMHO the lack of it is not a big deal. Anytime I've seen the gauge get to the point that I thought I might perhaps start to worry, it was so hot and traffic was so immobile that pulling onto the shoulder and getting off the bike was a good thing.

They put 'em on the RTPs (along with an extra battery) because they expect the bikes will be sitting for long periods on the shoulder with the engine running to power the lights and radio. So, don't do that. If you're moving, the bike is cooling, and if you're not moving enough to cool the bike, you're stopped anyway.

Archived