IGNORED

Anyone know which R1100 engines can be swapped among models?

BadAdam

I am replacing the engine on my 1999 R1100S and trying to find out what other bikes I can do a clean engine swap from. I know that I want to stick with the R1100S bikes but want to make sure of which years I can use.

BMW switched to the 1150 model engine for the S in 2002 I think but can anyone confirm if there were any changes before then that I should be wary off?

Thanks in advance,

adam

ShovelStrokeEd

Adam,

I think anything other than a cruiser motor will work and even there, I'm not sure the basic block isn't the same.

You can research yourself Max BMW

Check out the engine cases. I think the only difference on the cruisers is the bore in the cases for the different cylinders.

thanks ed. I know the engine blocks are the same but I'm hoping to just do a straight swap and it turns out taht I need an S engine becuase of the port heads being larger on the S than the other iterations of the 1100 engine.

I was thinking about tearing out the guts of another engine to put in mine but mines got a stuck right cylinder, 42K miles and I figure I can find an engine with under 10K miles on it to slap in this baby and make it go like stink.

keep in mind, my 99 has no warantee, ABS, and I'm broke and have limited mechanical skills. thumbsup.gif

sounds like this will be fun.

So, I'm looking for a 1999-2003 1/2 r1100s engine.

no 4 spark for me my friends. I don't have the wires to handle it.

ShovelStrokeEd

Adam,

No port differences at all except that the valves in the euro(93) US(94) motors were bigger.

The breathing difference on the S comes from the exhaust system, not the ports. You could even run a two spark motor if you wanted. Just have a machinest fabricate a phoney plug for you or just leave the other spark plug installed.

Toss any engine you want in there. The S does have different cam timing so you might need to swap the cams from your old motor. If it were me, I'd be looking for a late model 1150 motor. Use the S exhaust system and the S Motronic and I doubt you will notice all that much missing HP.

I hope I am not proving my ignorance here but I don't believe the S model every increased its displacement. I just checked the tech specs of BMW's website and it still listed at 1085ccs. I would think any model year S would work for you. If I am wrong could someone explain?

Archived