IGNORED

center stand removal

tom collins

tom collins

can anyone tell me how to remove the center stand. there are two large, extremely tight bolts that take a 10 mm hex wrench, upon removal, it still doesn't come off. there are also two small round-top bolts that unscrew revealing another 10 mm hex hole, but you would need 2 10 mm wrenches to get these out, do they have to come out?

thanks in advance.

tom collins

Joe Frickin' Friday
can anyone tell me how to remove the center stand. there are two large, extremely tight bolts that take a 10 mm hex wrench, upon removal, it still doesn't come off. there are also two small round-top bolts that unscrew revealing another 10 mm hex hole, but you would need 2 10 mm wrenches to get these out, do they have to come out?

thanks in advance.

The first part confused me; the second part sounds like the setup on my 1100RT. The small allens are cosmetic, just plugs to cover the 10mm allen hole. The 10mm allen hole is what it's all about. Yes, you'll need two wrenches. Each 10mm allen hole is the end of a 4" long, 3/4" diameter pin that bears the load between the bike and the stand. Most of each pin is buried in the engine case, and the two pins are joined through the engine case by about a 6mm-diameter threaded rod (the rod will stay with one of the pins). Unscrew these pins and pull on em (your bike's on its sidestand right now, right?).

The pins have O-rings to help retain grease in the stand pivot area. If the O-rings are chewed up, visit the plumbing section of your hardware store and find suitable replacements. Clean this area of the pin, install new O-rings, and regrease before reassembly.

A vise grip works great for removing/reinstalling the retraction springs.

This answer is going to take a little assumption. First the two allen bolt cap screws on either side of the centerstand are in with Locktite. You are lucky you got them out without applying some heat. Right behind the pivot bolt is a large steel bushing that the stand swivels on. This bushing is also partially countersunk into the centerstand mount. Pull these bushings out and the stand will fall off.

Watch out for the springs, they have a little tension on them. Why are you removing the centerstand?

Bruce C smile.gif

I use an old pair of brake spring pliers to remove the springs. I used a pair of vice grips amd did not tighten them up enough dopeslap.gif. It took me almost an hour to find that spring in the garage, that sucker almost took off my left ear. When I put it back on, I used the brake spring pliers and went on no prob, they have a hook to capture the spring, so I don't have to do a spring search.

\Roger

Archived