IGNORED

Head Shape vs Helmet Model

markmi

I have been researching full-face helmets lately. The discussions rarely mention the head shape a particular model of helmet favors. Could folks comment on which head shape the following models favor (round, oval, long oval, etc.):

Shoei X-11

Shoei RF-1000

Shoei TX-R

Scorpion EXO-700

Shuberth S1

Z1R ZRP-1

I am looking for one that favors a rounder head and fairly quiet. Can anyone recommend a model/brand from their experience that works better on rounder shaped heads? I heard the Shoei fits round shaped heads, but the RF-1000 may have changed its fit somewhat. I know - trying on models is essential, but I want to narrow down the research a little based on others experiences.

Thanks.

quoting from the Aerostitch catalog: "For wide and round heads we recommend the Shoei Syncrotec or the RF 1000 (Shoei). For oval and narrow (side to side) and longer (front to back) heads the Nolan N-100 and x-1002 usually fit well.

Hope that is some help.

I have a 'long oval' melon, and thought I was stuck with Arai Signet GTs. I never liked its ventilation, its lack of removable liner, and worst of all its screen mechanism.

Tried an X-11, and it has served me well for over 2 years. Wish manufacturers were more informative about that issue, since wearing the thing for 10 minutes at the shop doesn't tell you anything.

If you have a Cycle Gear near you, they give a 30 day trial period on any helmet. This will allow you to try a helmet for a time to make sure you will like the fit.

Presumably, that means that the helmet you buy could already have spent 30 days on someone else's sweaty head! Come to think of it, it could have been on several head's during several trial periods. Leaving aside the hygiene issue, I'm not sure I would would want a helmet that had already had so much wear.

I also have a roundish melon.....Have ridden with a Shoei Sycrotec for about 3 years and it was OK...Bought an Arai Quantum II, used thiner cheek pads than stock and it works fine..I feel it will do it's job well if needed....Firm but not tight on my head and cheeks....I like it and that's all I ride with now..It is not a quiet helmet however but has really good ventilation...Use ear plugs.....Earlier post mentioned Cycle Gear..That's where I got the Arai and they were great...Recommended...... clap.gif

Phil........Redbrick

I have a round/square head and have only worn Nolan and HJC helmets, comfortably.

Arai hurt within a minute

Shoei bothered me within 10 minutes and I knew it was going to only get worse. Atleast that is what I suspected.

Kathy.......

Curious if the Arai that hurt was a Signet...My wife has a Signet and likes it..Her head is more elongated which I have heard Arai has tended towards fitting...However, the propoganda from Arai is the new Quantum II is more for the rounded head..

Thanks

Phil.........Redbrick...

I'm sorry Phil, but I don't remember which Arai it was? That was about 5 years ago when I bought my current HJC Symax.

I'm currently looking for a new helmet. It has to be a flip. I'm hooked on that concept.

Shoei X-11

Shoei RF-1000

Shoei TX-R

Scorpion EXO-700

Shuberth S1

Z1R ZRP-1

Shoei X-11 (round)

Shoei RF-1000 (oval)

Shoei TX-R (oval)

Scorpion EXO-700 (round)

Shuberth S1 (oval)

Z1R ZRP-1 (don't know)

To that, and based on my experience in both the helmet industry and dealer retail, I can add:

Nolan X-1002 (oval)

Scorpion EXO-400 (round)

All Schuberths (oval)

Most European helmets (oval)

HJC (round)

KBC VR-2 (round)

KBC VR-3 (oval)

But it's not all that simple. Within each head shape are a variety of factors such as cheekbone location, cheek fullness, forehead shape (flat or protruding), etc. that will affect the fit. In essence, you have two head shapes. First there's the crown of your head, then there's the facia. The crown is the upper perimeter and the facia is the frontal perimeter. It's also my experience that people are often misinformed as to their head shape. While there are some obvious head shapes, most of us fall into the "interpretive" zone, i.e. one person will categorize you as an oval while the next will tell you you're a round. And in some cases, people truly are on the cusp between the two, with different sections of their head exhibiting conflicting shapes (oval in the back and round in the front. So sometimes it's impossible to find someone a "perfect" fit and you just have to get them as comfortable as possible in a helmet. The above are just guidelines, starting points if you will. As we say, YMMV.

One final point. If you think a helmet is a good fit, wear it for at least a 15-20 minutes at the dealership. A pressure point will manifest itself into an uncomfortable hot spot usually within 10 minutes, and definitely within 20. Also, if while you're wearing the helmet at the dealership you find yourself having to "adjust it" on your head every few minutes, it's not a good fit. And be sure to wear a helmet liner such as a Helmet Slick. Not only do they make it easier to put your helmet on, but they help absorb perspiration and generally make wearing your helmet much more comfortable.

celebrationrev
I'm currently looking for a new helmet. It has to be a flip. I'm hooked on that concept.

While shopping for my new helmet (still shopping) I was told that the flip-up portion is fiberglass and therefore not going to provide much protection in a crash as compared to the shell. That was on an HJC and I didn't think to ask the guy if that applied to all flip-ups. And I've also learned not to take everything a salesperson says as necessarily accurate.

Anybody else know about this?

DangerMoney

Arais come in three different head shapes. I know Shoeis come in at least two. You've got to get the right head shape as well as the right size. You can also get Arai cheek pads of different thicknesses to fine tune the fit. From their old website:

I see that Arai now has three different shell shapes. What's the story?

"THE BEST FIT FOR THE MOST RIDERS"

Arai's Unique Perspective on Helmet Fit

In this website, you will see the Arai Astral model. The Astral is the latest example of Arai's never-ending search for the best fit for the most riders. The Astral introduces Arai's new "Intermediate Oval" shell shape. It bridges the fit gap between the Round Oval shape of the RX-7 and Quantum series, and the Long Oval shape of the Signet GT, Tracker GT and Renegade. The Astral is designed for riders who need a longer interior shape (front-to-back) than is common with the Round Oval fit, but who also need more interior width (side-to-side) than the Long Oval's distinctly narrow interior. Which means that you now have three Arai shell shapes to try on and choose from, to find the one that fits you best.

WHY DO WE GO TO ALL THIS TROUBLE?

It could be argued that helmet fit can be kind of a benign process. A helmet manufacturer does some R&D to develop a shell shape and an interior fit shape they think will appeal to a lot of riders; then they make the helmet and put it on the market. The potential customer then tries on the helmet, and it either fits the customer's head, or it doesn't.

Arai Helmets, on the other hand, takes a different approach. Instead of one-shape-for-all, Arai offers you three different interior fit shapes to choose from. Why? Why go to all the fuss and trouble of creating helmet models with different interior fit shapes? Isn't it a lot more work intensive? Definitely. Is it worth it? Read the rave press reviews of Arai's fit and comfort, and decide for yourself.

Arai believes helmet fit is critical to both the performance and the enjoyment of a helmet. So the philosophy that originally led Arai to develop the two distinct interior fit shapes defined by the Quantum and Signet is the same one that led to the development of the Astral. Arai believes the rider benefits of a better, more comfortable fit result in a helmet you can wear longer - longer rides, longer years - without fatigue or "pressure points". A better fit can also help reduce wind noise because it seals better, conforming more your head shape. It allows for a better chance of buying a helmet that's the right size for your head - instead of one that's too large - because in the search for comfort we might be tempted to buy a size that's too large in order to get a "one-shape-for-all" helmet to feel comfortable. And a too-large helmet is one of the major contributors to wind noise, buffeting, and in the extreme, a helmet that moves around on your head.

Next, the science of helmet fit isn't an exact science. If it were, somebody would probably have created the "perfect" shape years ago and been done with it. But there are a countless number of head shapes that not only vary from person to person, but from culture to culture. To Arai's designers and engineers, that means you work as hard as you can to come as close as you can to "the best fit for the most riders". It also takes a particular type of company to encourage its people devote so much time and effort to the search.

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE SHAPES?

It comes down to a basic fact: the shape of the head - the relationship between length and width - are as important as head size in determining the right helmet for you a helmet:

The traditional Arai fit - the "Long Oval" - For heads whose length is distinctly narrow side-to-side, combined with a longer front to back measurement. Arai's Long Oval shell shape is currently available in the Signet, Renegade and Tracker GT series.

The transitional fit - the "Round Oval" - For heads that are distinctly rounder, the length and width being almost even. Arai's Round Oval shell shape is currently available in the Quantum series. (The RX-7 series has a "relaxed" Round Oval shell shape, which is not quite as pronounced as the Quantum's.)

The bridge fit - the "Intermediate Oval" - For heads with a round shape, but with considerably more forehead length. This shape "bridges" the gap between the two previous shapes. Arai's Intermediate Oval shell shape is currently available in the Astral series.

I wear both the Arai Quantum f and II as well as the Shoei X11. All fit very comfortably. The quietest of these is the new Quantum II. The best venting is the Shoei. The lightest seems to be a tie between the Shoei and the Quantum II.

I can't even get into an Arai Signet or their Astral models.

Archived