IGNORED

No headlight - Traveling Help

BeemerBim

I have a 97 R1100RT with a good headlight bulb but no high or low beam. The instrument lights work and the tailights work, if I hit the passing button the headlight works and high beam indicator comes on otherwise there is no high or low beam. Power good through Euro switch, power questionable on high/low beam switch. Any solutions? Maybe relay or fuse? Im on the road so im anxious for replys. Thanks.

I had similar symptoms and ended up replacing the bulb. At first I disassembled the switch and found questionable power to it, but cleaning it up fixed the problem for a day at most. It's not hard to do, even on the road, so it's probably worthwhile. Good luck.

Looking at the wiring diagram, the high beam filament in the bulb is powered from the same source as the high beam indicator after all the switches, so if the high beam indicator works then the switches should be OK. Since both high and low filaments don't work (and if you are sure the bulb is good) I'd look at a ground problem close to the bulb socket. Also check the bulb socket itself... is it corroded or burned at all?

Clive Liddell

I'm sure it is the "euro" switch that's giving you a problem. Just exercise it a few times from off to full on and see what happens. The Passing beam circuit is fed independent from the euro switch.

I'm sure it is the "euro" switch that's giving you a problem.
Can't be. What smiller said. The headlight bulb itself, and the dash panel indicator are after the switches, including the euro switch. If the dash indicator lights, the only thing left is the wiring between there and the socket on the bulb itself.

There are no fuses involved with the headlights.

Sounds like a load relief relay possibly. But the only thing that bothers me about that is I think the high-beam dash indicator is after the load relief relay. I don't have my wiring diagram of the bike with me at the moment to verify.

Regardless, the load relief relay is easy to check. It's the first smaller black one in from the left in the fuse box. The identical one next over is the horn relay. Swap those two. If the headlights then work, you can finish the rest of your trip without a horn.

Jim,

The Hi/Lo switch contacts are either VERY dirty or the little brass contacts have melted into the housing. You'll probably need to order a new switch. To prevent this from happening on the new switch, install some relays for the headlamp.

You 'may' be able to pull the switch apart and if the brass contacts are below the surface of the housing, clean them up and drop a dab of solder on each contact. It'll work for a while.

Another trick is to hot-wire the low beam at the switch. Just connect the Yellow wire to the Green/Blue wire. You'll only have a low beam but it's better n nothing in a pinch. smile.gif

Mick

Archived