IGNORED

F800ST GPS Connector

Fergie

The wife has a 2008 F800ST that I wired her Chatterbox to the GPS connector. Ground wire to #1 Brown and power to #3 red / white. Her battery has gone dead twice and I discovered yesterday that the #3 wire stays live with key off. I thought that the GPS connector went dead with key off. Am I missing something or do I have to go to the dealer to get the can-bus reprogrammed to shut that circuit off. :(

Don't know if this will help any, and I don't know for sure on the F800, but on the other bikes the GPS connector stays live for a minute or two after key off (varies, I don't know why), so make sure you're giving it plenty of time before testing, and test both with your chatterbox and without anything connected.

OKAY, here's the deal. #3 wire DOES turn off after a minute with nothing hooked to it. With the Chatterbox charger hooked to it it DOES NOT TURN OFF. What's up with that. Seems like with a draw it stays on. Go figure. Now what?????

I don't have an answer, other than to say that I've heard of this, and I guess some devices can inadvertently 'activate' CANbus ports like the BMW battery charger does.

You might try temporarily connecting it to an accessory plug and see if it does the same thing?

Your right stubble. Called the dealer today and he said that if it sees any draw it will keep the circuit live. Thanks

Ya know, that is just not correct..... The ZFE controls the power supplied to the GPS connector and for some reason any device connected to it that has a switching power supply (Chatterbox charger) produces enough electrical noise to fool the ZFE. I'll wager that if you connect the GPS by itself, it will turn off within a minute of the key.

Archived