IGNORED

Strange noise upon turning key when on sidestand...

Willie

I am still having a strange noise coming from the bike as soon as I turn the ignition key. It only happens when using the sidestand. I posted about this before and it was attributed from being on the sidestand with a low fuel level. It is doing it more frequently now and even with a full tank of gas. I have replaced a peice of dry rot fuel line when I did my last TBS. Could I possibly be sucking air somewhere in the fuel system or have a pump going out? I am having surging problems that seem to have started out of nowhere (but they did start right after I put my Odessey battery in it... any connection with that?) and was wondering if it could possibly be related to fuel supply somehow. Any thoughts? Thanks, Terry

ShovelStrokeEd

Terry,

Describe the noise more fully.

Is it perhaps a whirring noise that goes on for a couple of seconds and then stops? If so, its just the fuel pump.

Shift the bike into gear before turning on the ignition switch and see if the noise stops.

I stronly suggest putting in your ear plugs before starting the bike. You will then make that problem go away.

It's not the normal sound of the fuel pump building pressure. It's about twice as loud and kinda sounds like when you put a smoke out in a glass of water. The very first time I heard it I thought that I fried something, but saw no smoke. I'll have to try it in gear when I get a chance.

No_Twilight
It's not the normal sound of the fuel pump building pressure. It's about twice as loud and kinda sounds like when you put a smoke out in a glass of water. The very first time I heard it I thought that I fried something, but saw no smoke. I'll have to try it in gear when I get a chance.
Doesn't sound reall good. I'd take the seats off and try it again with my ears down there trying to hear where it's coming from. Check the battery terminals for loose wires. Sounds like it might be something frying... the fuel pump shouldn't run on the side stand so I think it is likely in the headlamp circuit. If it is something frying, it should stop soon. blush.gif but it would be better to stop it before everything fries. I might have a fire extinguisher handy while troubleshooting. --Jerry
How long does this sound last?

It coincides with the noise the fuel pump makes but is just a tad bit less in duration. There is definately two seperate sounds going on at the same time. Doesn't do it when in gear. Only would do it when the bike will let the fuel pump kick on, but it doesn't ALWAYS do it. Terry

One of the relays chattering? If you listen down close to all of them in the fuse box can you decide anything?

Stan Walker

How about a small leak in one of the high pressure lines inside the fuel tank. You would hear it more with the bike on the side stand because the fuel level would be lower on the side of the bike with the fuel pump / fuel lines. Maybe listen with the gas cap open to see if you can hear it better.

Stan, shooting another WAG from the hip......

Archived