IGNORED

Lucas Oil Stadium...Colts new home (lots o' pix)

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Because we don't enjoy the elevated financial or social status that would allow participation at the private openings, we joined 20,000 of our fellow (and sister) sweating Hoosiers for a free tour of the new stadium, courtesy of free tickets from neightbors.

It was pretty cool. Here are some snaps of the tour.

IMG_0820.jpg

I'm the one in the blue jersey below

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

The stadium design reflects Indy's industrial character. Made of nearly 1 million bricks. This is central Indy's steam and a/c plant.

IMG_0823.jpg

The scale of the place is overwhelming.

IMG_0826.jpg

Lucas Oil has certainly optimized its exposure as you'll see in following pix.

IMG_0827.jpg

While waiting for the escalator, I noticed Lucas greeting the crowds. Touching gesture, IMO.

IMG_0829.jpg

Here's Lucas pressing the flesh, literally.

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

Here I am again in the blue jersey.

IMG_0835.jpg

This is a view of a very, very long escalator to the terrace floor. Being acrophobic, this jammed packed ride up a glass-sided, suspended escalator caused some concern.

IMG_0836.jpg

On the way up, it occured that having this 20,000 head of cattle pour through the building every two hours is a good way to stress test the structural components with non-paying volunteers so as not to risk injuring paying ticket holders should there be a catastrophic failure.

IMG_0838.jpg

The dome will meet its end in a few weeks when they turn off the inflation fans. That'd be cool to watch.

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

These fans are made by the Big Ass Fan Company. Go figure.

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

The dome will meet its end in a few weeks when they turn off the inflation fans. That'd be cool to watch.

You mean it's not supported by Peyton Manning's ego? :/:grin:

Blah, blah, blah... I know. He's a good guy and great athlete. He's still fun to poke at...

Archived