IGNORED

newbie eqpt question

chrisx

let me know if i need to learn better "locations" for my questions. just got a 1150rt and other than the missing topbox and cyl guards, what should i consider changing. the seat comes to mind but not sure how to proceed on this. what are others doing to make the ride safer and more comfortable for a long haul. i suppose that HID lights are in the safety category and a good addition? is an oil coooler fan a sensible thing? throttle lock? handguards? not looking to go over the top here. just want to set it correct right up front based on others experiences. if it is perfect just as it is then tell me. the seat seems a little close for me tho at 6'4" and i do not expect to do much if any 2-up.

TIA

Chris

DavidEBSmith

My advice would be to ride it and see what you don't like. Some people are completely comfortable on the stock seat, many people hate it, and you won't know which kind of butt you have except by experience. As for lighting, try riding at night and see if you feel comfortable with the stock lighting. Some people never ride at night, and HID would be a complicated waste of money if you don't. Throttle locks, some people like throttle rockers, some people like Throttlemeister, see if you need one first and if you do, try the cheapest alternative. Topbox - go for some rides and see if you need the extra space. Some people have 'em and never use 'em. Cylinder guards - almost certainly a good idea, although there's a reasonable difference of opinion as to whether the extra cost of the guards is better than just replacing the cylinder head covers if you drop the bike.

I probably have one of the most accessorized bikes you'll ever encounter (no snide remarks, Baker) and it's all been evolutionary. I ride, I get a pain somewhere, something annoys me, I try something to fix it, I throw it away and try something else. I almost hate to recommend accessories to anybody because everybody is so different. With most stuff, the best I can honestly say is "works for me". not "this is the thing you have to get."

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I would say "ride it, then decide" just like D-EB-Smith says. Stash that Visa card somewhere safe for now, and only pull it out once you've found things that you "need."

I'm 6'4" also, with a whopping 35" inseam... Put that seat all the way up as soon as you're comfortable with the bike, and then if you're sliding forward, get some seat jacks- or change the order if sliding is an issue.

Also, like Mr. Smith, my bike is in a constant state of changing accessorization. However, the HID low and the Throttlemeister are going to stay no matter what.

Windshield? I'ved tried 3 and am considering number 4 for when the temps go down.

The Autocom has been mounted in 3 places (I think it'll stay where it is now). I didn't know I needed "bar backs" until I rode someone else's bike that had 'em- then I went and bought them and put 'em on in the middle of a trip. Then you hear about someone else's cool idea (like hooking the garage remote up to the PTT button when the radio isn't attached) and you wonder how you ever lived without it.

You get the idea... One could easliy spend the same amount on accessories as the cost of the bike and still not have enough.

I agree with all of the above. I've had my handlebar set-backs on and off many times. Seems better for long trips. I'll keep my rider peg lowering kit, HID lights, cylinder guards, tall ( Cee Bailey ) windshield, and Throttlemeister.

One thing not mentioned. I bought a pair of GS mirrors and installed them on the RT. When the bike is loaded with camping gear, the lower mirrors can't see past the stuff. Also helps seeing behind me with my bi-focals ( I'm an old fart. ) When I commute to work, I turn the lower mirrors out to see my blind spot. Works very well on the freeway. I like the stock BMW "comfort seat" but with 1/4 inch blocks under the front seat jack to keep from sliding foreward. I rarely use the top case unless traveling. Acts like a sail in heavy cross winds.

Good luck. By the way, I've found much of the stuff for this bike and my 1150R used, but like new on E-bay or one of the BMW rider forums.

A good cloaking device eliminates the need for a Radar Detector, contrary to popular belief you can get Turbos for Oilheads, If you mainly go MC Camping and need a place to stuff your sleeping bag, ditch the topcase and check out the duffle bags & packing straps from Helen Two Wheels, Cylinder Guards are ok, but if you plan on doing your own valve adjustments, you gotta take 'em off ev wink.giferytime.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
let me know if i need to learn better "locations" for my questions.

First off, you've found the correct forum for posting this question. And looking at your other posts, you seem to be posting where is appropriate so you're good to go there.

I echo everyone's suggestions about riding the bike and then deciding what you need. I would, however, immediately add the cylinder guards. If you are doing slow speed parking lot maneuvers and experience a tip-over, the guards are going to prevent the damage. The guards are a multiple tip-over prevention device (usually) meaning that you don't have to replace them unless they get cracked or horribly deformed.

I still have the stock seat after 82,000 miles but my butt is starting to whine for a different one. Commuting and single day rides are just fine, for me, but I find that higher mileage single days (500-700 miles) or moderate mileage multiple days (350-500) and my butt hurts. Your experience might be different than mine.

Good luck!

The single accessory that I would just go and get immediately would be a Kisan Signalminder SM-5 - gives you self cancelling turn signals (which came as stock on my 1983 Gold Wing but not on my 04 RT!!!)

Ride it a while and see what else comes to mind. Eventually, you will probably want an accessory that requires an amplifier, so start looking at AutoCom's and other units.

Good luck! You can spend plenty of money accessorizing these bikes!

Chris,

I have had my RT for about 16 months now and I have focused on safety "Being Seen" items. I put on the Kisan Trailblaser rear lamp, flashes and then steady on, when I hit the brakes. Installed the 3m reflective tape on the bags, they are great for night riding. Top case is for the wife and Sargent seat was for me. I had a MP3 player so some cheap earbuds solve the music problem. That's it. I'm happy, you will be too.

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

Archived