IGNORED

Factory windshield peeling????

Heater_Guy

I had my RT under a cover on the back patio for the last few (hot) days. When I took the cover off today I noticed the windshield had a clear "coating" on the inside that was starting to peel off. It had a cracked window look to it when I first saw it, then I rubbed it with my hand and it started to flake off but just in a few spots. Does anybody have any suggestions for getting the rest off with any cleaner or chemical that won't destroy the shield??

I had my RT under a cover on the back patio for the last few (hot) days. When I took the cover off today I noticed the windshield had a clear "coating" on the inside that was starting to peel off. It had a cracked window look to it when I first saw it, then I rubbed it with my hand and it started to flake off but just in a few spots. Does anybody have any suggestions for getting the rest off with any cleaner or chemical that won't destroy the shield??

Brett,

My K1100 did that, I used a high pressure water spray to peel off the rest of the coating. Worked great! You do NOT want to scrape it with anything. What you are removing is an antifog coating.

Mick

A couple of weeks ago I took off my windscreen to wash it off in the sink to really clean it.

I guess the hot water was too hot as that coating peeled off. But it did come out real clean.

Haven't had any problem with fogging on the windscreen anyway.

It appears that heat is the culpert for this coating coming off.

Hope this helps,

Carl

Do all the BMW windshields have this on it?

Is it on both sides?

My R1200RT has a few rock marks in the shield.

I thought that it was bugs or dirt but it is small nicks.

It could be a soft plastic windshield but maybe its the coating thats chipped.

Rich

A couple of weeks ago I took off my windscreen to wash it off in the sink to really clean it.

I guess the hot water was too hot as that coating peeled off. But it did come out real clean.

Haven't had any problem with fogging on the windscreen anyway.

It appears that heat is the culpert for this coating coming off.

Hope this helps,

Carl

The hot water did the trick. It took 4 or 5 soakings to get it all off. Thanks Carl.

I've got a stock windscreen for my '96 RT that is in a box in storage if you need another one. Let me know with a PM.

Archived