IGNORED

And you thought double-trailers were scary...

Joe Frickin' Friday

20 years ago, I drove trucks during breaks from college.

I've pulled triples, and it's really not that big a deal. (The pups are only 24'-26' long)

Pulling one wasn't significantly different from just pulling a regular trailer, except you're pretty much unable to back up.

Oh yeah - you can DEFINITELY corner better (with doubles or triples) then with a 53' box, too!

The stopping distance is a function of weight, braking power and traction.

I've pulled trailers that had great brakes, and with a moderate load could stop darn near as fast as a car.

I've also pulled trailers that had 'adequate' brakes - with 80,000 lbs on board, those have the approximate braking power of a sailboat. :D

(Oh, the stories I could tell...)

I can just imagine that 4 gas tanker "train" trying to make a panic stop for Bambi!

Guess I know the results...... :dopeslap:

Are these "trains" handled differently at Depots, I can't see them backing up for anyone unless they start shedding some of their cargo.

The stopping distance is a function of weight, braking power and traction.

I've pulled trailers that had great brakes, and with a moderate load could stop darn near as fast as a car.

I've also pulled trailers that had 'adequate' brakes - with 80,000 lbs on board, those have the approximate braking power of a sailboat. :D

(Oh, the stories I could tell...)

Actually the parameter missing from your stopping distance function (probably the most important one) is speed.

I can just imagine that 4 gas tanker "train" trying to make a panic stop for Bambi!

With that much weight behind me, I wouldn't even take my foot off the gas. be kinda like hitting a water balloon :eek:

No Bambi in Australia, they got roos to worry about. Notice the bumper on the truck? I don't think they panic brake for roos.

Archived