IGNORED

Changing my shocks!

sdpc2

My '04 RT is in for it's 6000 mile service. I figured that since the plastic was already coming off, that i might as well have the dealer mount my new-to-me Wilbers. Can someone give me an estimate of the time that this should take? The dealer's estimate was for about 3 HOURS of labor! That seems WAY to high to me.

Thanks for the insight.

sdc

That seems high to me...at least on my R1100RT I changed my shocks in about an hour (maybe a bit less)...granted, I had the tupperware off for other maintenance...but it was not a big deal.

Hopefully someone else will weigh in here, but that seems high to me. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

John

DavidEBSmith

Does the rear Wilburs have an external reservoir? Is that plug and play with the stock shock, or would the dealer have to cobble, er, fabricate, some mounting bracket that might account for the extra time?

Even at only 2 hours of labor, I'd think about doing it myself. It's really a pretty easy job - I've done it in about an hour, including tupperware removal & replacement.

I thought the back shock required some significant disassembly of the rear end? Can anyone point me to written procedures for shock removal? Time to start thinking about rebuilding my Ohlins...

Nope...I think you have all the access you need for the rear shock with the seat off (and stored junk moved aside) for the top and the rear wheel removed for the bottom.

For the reservior, you may need to thread the tubing through some other tubes/cables, but that didn't even need tupperware removal...

Later,

jan

A shock R&R should take no longer than two hrs. max. including body work removal and setting the ride dimensions there-after.

Scott....I have written a step by step procedure for installation and set up procedures if your interested. PM me and I'll fire it off to you. thumbsup.gif

Retired At LAst

Chris,

Which dealer gave you that quote??

I see you live in Somers so I presume it was Cliffs BMW in Danbury??

roadshadowww

Three Hours ! You've got to be kidding.......RIP-OFF.

I changed my shocks in less than an hour and a half...and it was my first time. A dealer taking that long should include his coffee break ..... but 3 hours. Shame, Shame, Shame.

Chris is the wife... I am Scott. I would rather not knock the dealer. Infer as you wish.

s

Chris,

Which dealer gave you that quote??

I see you live in Somers so I presume it was Cliffs BMW in Danbury??

• 1 month later...

Just to let everyone know how the story turns out...

I decided that to let the dealer tackle the shocks as part of the 6k mile service. They were able to do the front one, but told me that i had the wrong rear shock! Klaus (the US importer) happened to be at Lima; so i asked him if that was the case. He informed me that the shock would fit. Althuogh I had many offers of assistance from folks from this board; due to time constraints, I decided not to attack the rear shock swap on my own. So i took the bike to my local wrench who had no problem doing it.

Needless to say, the local dealer will not be seeing my bike in the shop again, unless it is a warranty issue.

But the good news is that the Wilbers ROCK! The bike feels so much more planted than it ever did. The rear wheel stays on the ground! What a difference.

thanks all for your help.

sdc

Archived