IGNORED

Rome Italy

Helga

I am looking for some affordable accomodations in Rome Italy when we travel there in November. Anyone have any suggestions on places to stay?

We stayed here Sept 06.

Raganelli Hotel

Via Aurelia 734/8 - 00165 Roma

Tel: +39 06 6641 8023 Fax: +39 06 6641 5506

http://www.raganellihotel.it info@raganelli.it

Rate Euro 76.50 (single room) per night with buffet breakfast.

Both the room and the rate were reasonable. I chose this one for location as much as the reasonable price.

We were on a 1200Rt and coming in from the west and I wanted a place I could easily get to and out of to head north after the visit. I didn't want to get caught up in the traffic downtown if I didn't have to.

The Hotel is located inside the outer ring on a main road and was easy to find. Leaving we got on the ring road and headed north. It was easy to get downtown by bus and then subway.

It might be worth considering if you are doing something similiar.

Cheers.

When you finally do contact the hotel, be sure to mention needing "a room for two people". This allows them to expand their offerings to include a single large bed or two smaller beds per room -- doubles your chances for a low rate.

Gary is right on, mention how many in the room, one bed or two.

I'm sure the rates have changed by now. After explaining what you need I would ask for a rate confirmation before arriving.

From what I remember downtown Rome is at least Euro 50 more than being on the outskirts.

We paid about .... I don't guess I have a Euro symbol on this keyboard... I'll use "E"... E120 - E140 in the tourist area, walking distance from the train station, last fall, IIRC. Rooms were ok, service was gracious. Rick Steves listed places. Didn't keep book and can't remember the names for sure.

Still, that's no worse than NYC for room cost/quality. I just hate the tablecloth towels and tiny showers.

To be honest, the only thing we really liked in Rome was Villa Borghese: intimate, elegant, baroque. Reservations required in advance. No crowds, entrance limited to about 300 at a time. 2 hours allotted per entry. If they still have the Canova exhibit, it is exquisite. They have quite a few of his pieces on permanent display too.

The Vatican Museum was not worth it due to crowds, interesting areas being closed. Did find however, that you can walk into the Vatican plaza the back way (well it's the front way, but not the way you'll be directed to the museum), and walk right on into St. Peter's Basillica where the Pieta is (behind a heavy glass partition, 30 - 40 feet from you, front view only... but yeah, it's a target, so what are you going to do?) for free, no lines, no gates, relatively minimal crowds. Not the best cathedral we saw in Italy by far, but if you are there, I would do that.

We found Rome more difficult and less interesting than our other Italy stops, but it came at the end of our trip, and we were burned out on religious art and the like, so maybe it wasn't Rome's fault. Food was better in the North too we thought though. Our favorites were Milan, Lucca, Volterra, Montalcino, and Sienna.

Jan

Sorry, I've only stayed in Rome a couple of times and the hotels were more on the pricey end, but I do have one suggestion that I'd urge you to consider. If your time in Rome is limited, I seriously consider hiring a private government-licensed (that's very important) guide to show you the sights. The first time I visited Rome I had one day to take it all in. My wife, who's in the travel biz, insisted that we use a private guide. While it was more than I would have paid without her prodding, it was an incredible way to see the city . . . we saw and learned more about Rome and its history in one day than you possibly could on your own.

Archived