IGNORED

Opinions about removing the decals

GaryIF

I've been tempted to remove the R1150RT decals from the side of faring panels. Have many out there done that, to clean up the bike's appearance? And, is the removal as easy as it sounds -- hair dryer on low setting to soften the decal's "adhesive."

Thanks, everyone.

Yup, we did it too on ours. It takes very little heat. Just enough so you can get your finger nail under one edge. Too much causes the decal to stretch and break. Pull a little, heat a little. Pull a little, heat a little. After the plastic part is off follow up with mineral spirits to dissolve any remaining adhesive. I think the RT looks great without them! (Did it to our new R1200GS too BTW.)

Gary,

I didn't even heat mine up, just carefully flipped a corner up with the ole fingernail and pulled them off. A little hand soap cleaned up any residual adhesive.

Looks mucho better! thumbsup.gif

steve.foote

Did it, and it looked better.

Some say that the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider, but we all know it's those cheesy stickers. wink.gif

Les is more

Here are a couple of pristine bikes in silver - Marty's and mine on the way to San Diego from Atlanta

157398-M-1.jpg

Does anyone want to share a photo of their naked bike without decals?

Here is my old RT-P in Silver, without decals.

Tom

535717-mini-DSC_1965.jpg.ccb3f85404d97453bd313eed1f9d719e.jpg

Does anyone want to share a photo of their naked bike without decals?

Here is my old RT-P in Silver, without decals.

Tom

Of course, I was also thinking of "going the other way", so I mocked up this special decal for the RT-P's. Haven't had any made up yet though.

Tom

535719-mini-RTPLogoLR.jpg.1008ff6e2b3bd662b4512d6947680103.jpg

So, does the paint fade much on these guys? I have a 97 red RT, and am finding I like the looks of the bike without the decal....but am afraid to remove it for fear that it will stand out like a sore thumb...any thoughts on this?

John

So, does the paint fade much on these guys? I have a 97 red RT, and am finding I like the looks of the bike without the decal....but am afraid to remove it for fear that it will stand out like a sore thumb...any thoughts on this?
Well it's a good question, but I've never noticed it on many bikes with the decals removed. But then red would potentially be one of the worst colors for that. What does the color look like under some of the 'shaded' areas of the bike? Like where the seat overlaps the red plastic? Can you see any differences in the color? If not, I suspect you would be fine under the decals.
SAAB93driver

I'm probably in the minority, and I'd like it if the decals weren't decals but painted, but that said I like the stock look with the decals. If if took them off I'd have someone with more skill than I paint similar lettering back on.

Archived