IGNORED

Linksys Wireless Router Problem

casticus

Ok I used to do tech support connecting people to the Internet (early 90s...28.8 modems were fast back then) but this has me stumped...

Moved, changed providers, plugged everything in and it worked fine...One day last week the wireless network just disappeared...literally. Search for available networks and it doesn't even show up.

So I have I am now plugged into the router directly and I get out just fine but still not wireless network listed for. I checked all the settings and it is set to broadcast the SSID...Anyone have something like this happen before?

Is it possible the wireless part of the router died but no the wired router portion?

Is it possible the wireless part of the router died but no the wired router portion?

Yes, it's possible. I had wireless die on an old SMC device.

Do you have more than one wireless device that can't see it? Are you in range of any other wireless devices that do or do not show up?

You might just try a hard reset of the thing.

I was just coming back to edit and suggest that very thing. That saved my prior Linksys device from the junk heap... until the integrated cable modem (never again!) crapped out.

I do detect other wireless networks in my "neighborhood"...I have hard power cycled the router down and brought it back up and I have used the "reset" button on the back...

Based on what y'all are saying I think I am gorked...oh well, it lasted 4-5 years.

David,

From your description of power cycling / reset button usage, I'm not sure if you have actually done a full reset on the device which is typically holding the reset button in for at least 30 seconds. Once this is correctly done, all the router settings are set back to defaults and you will need to reconfigure.

Also check Linksys.com to be sure you are running the latest firmware and update if necessary.

I am a network manager and I perform tech support for these kinds of issues, among others. If your Wireless network card in your computer can detect other wireless networks then your computer is is fine. Some wireless routers allow you to disable the radios so check to see if this is the case. It is usually a check box in the web configurations page. If not then your Wireless Access Point radio has died. Wireless Access Points (WAP's) are cheap so just buy another one. Linksys makes good WAP's.

Cheers!

Todd

Todd (and others),

Thanks for all the info...it is set to "broadcast" and I did flash it with the firmware again although LInksys techs said to not use any "newer" versions b/c it may not be backwards compatible with the hardware. Mine is so old it didn't even have a version # printed on it...Linksys had to punch it up by FCC # and serial # :eek:

I am just going to replace it...talked to one of our IT guys at work and he said to not waste the money on "N" technology and stick with "G".

Thanks again.

I was going to say that our Belkin does that sometimes. Basically what we end up doing is connecting the modem directly to the main pc, let it pick up a new ip from the network (take the wireless out of the mix all together). Then we can connect the wireless and the router and everything works fine. It's almost as if we are given a new ip range every so often and the modem has to be reset on their network to pick it up again. Possibly the TTL (Time to live) on their network as expired.

You might want to give that a shot, if you haven't already, before buying a new one.

Archived