IGNORED

gmail account 'disabled'

bmwdude

Google has 'disabled' my gmail account due to someone's fraudulent attempt at using google checkout with my debit card number. I received an email from google and answered their questions so as to, supposedly, regain control of my thousands of emails and countless memories, information, etc. I was concerned that it might be a phishing attempt so I attempted access through a few computers that I have mixed experience with...and typed various urls directly into the browser rather than clicking on the link that the cautionary email from google included. After two attempts at submitting pieces of information about myself, the reply continues to be that the inquiry result is 'inconclusive.' I was given the option of creating a new email address but that hardly solves MY problem, i.e. the loss of all those emails.

I tried calling google but they don't offer individualized customer support "at this time." However, there is a google business building in Newport Beach/Irvine and I am thinking about showing up with my computer, birth certificate, SSA number, blood/stool sample and preparations for give what little hair I have left if needed for a sample.

Can anyone shed any useful light on my predicament? In the adapted words of a Dire Straits song: "I need my [gmail]!"

It's not uncommon. Just read a similar tale of woe yesterday.

The short answer appears to be to have an alternate email address registered with Google, so that they have a way to contact you. Read through the comments for more.

I've been concerned about something like this all along and keep a regular email program on my PC, I use Thunderbird. Every now and then I open it and have it catch up with all my gmail, that way I have a 'permanent' record on my PC.

I've been concerned about something like this all along and keep a regular email program on my PC, I use Thunderbird. Every now and then I open it and have it catch up with all my gmail, that way I have a 'permanent' record on my PC.

Knowing what I just learned from this thread that sounds like a very good idea. I just set up an IMAP link in Thunderbird and copy (only) the inbox data for offline use (I don't want to copy the trash and other non-critical subfolders.)

I also made sure that my Gmail account had an alternate email address and a valid security question. I can't imagine anything worse than having to deal with automated Google email 'support.'

Archived