IGNORED

When to add new oil

Richard G

Hi, all

When I picked up the new RT the oil level was over the sight glass. In the 700 miles I put on it till I took it in for the checkup, it was still over the glass.

After the checkup and oil change I put about another 200 on it. Now the oil level is at half way in the glass.

Do most of you wait till it hits the bottom of the red ring or do you top it off early?

Should I go just to the top of the circle or do some of you go a bit higher?

Thanks, Rich

ShovelStrokeEd

Richard,

The proper level is the middle of the sight glass. That is what you get when you pour the correct amount of oil into the motor.

A small problem may creep in with the 1200 bikes in that there is an oil level sensor and warning system built into the new controls which can be somewhat pessimistic about oil level. So, you fill the bike to the proper level, ride a distance that insures you won't have used any oil and the damn display showes the exclamation point indicating low oil level.

If that becomes the case, take it to the dealer and demand that he replace the sensor so that it doesn't fault with the correct amount of oil in the motor.

The motor is not sensitive at all to a low oil condition and will operate just fine as much as 1 quart low. High oil level, such as the top of the glass, can create some minor problems with crankcase breathers and fouling of the components in the throttle bodies.

Here's what I do.

When it's hot and you are done with a ride, put it on the side stand. After a bit, check the oil sight glass. If you can see oil, consider everything cool. If you can't see oil, do the same thing the next time you ride it and then add 4-8 oz. Then start the dance all over again.

From what you have described, you do not need to add oil, and it's just now getting to the perfect oil level: somewhere between the bottom and middle of the glass.

Hi Rich,

The dot is the correct level, don't go to the top of the circle or you may induce significant vibration at speed on some bikes (mine among them). From the bottom of the sight glass to the dot is the sweet spot.

I don't know if the 1200 will be the same as the 1100/1150, but if so it can be kind of difficult to get an accurate reading on the sight glass unless you use a consistent routine each time, such as bike fully warm, on the sidestand for at least 10 minutes, then check level while on the centerstand (or use the shortcut that David described.)

The technique I finally found that seems to work consistently is that if I suspect the level to be low I check it a few times in a row on subsequent rides to be sure that I am seeing an accurate reading. Then (if the level was consistently low) I add oil by volume and not by reading the sight glass as it just lags too much. Add 2 ounces of oil to raise the level by 1/4 of the sight glass (or multiples thereof) and you're done... don't chase the level in the sight glass or you will likely overfill.

When the oil level in the sight glass reached the center dot (after ~500 miles), I began seeing the < ! > warning in the center of my computer display. I added enough oil to return the level to its original starting point when I first picked the bike up, i.e., close to the top of the sight glass. This took aproximately 3 oz. The, above mentioned, warning went away and hasn't returned.

The next time this happens, I may not be so quick to add oil; I'll depend more on the sight glass than the computer oil sensor display.

IMHO, the low oil level indicator on the computer is a POS. Just depend on the sight glass. It doesn't lie after the oil has been warmed up and bike is on center stand after being on side stand about 10 minutes.

I'm not sure a new sensor would give you anything but more of the same.

When the oil level in the sight glass reached the center dot (after ~500 miles), I began seeing the < ! > warning in the center of my computer display. I added enough oil to return the level to its original starting point when I first picked the bike up, i.e., close to the top of the sight glass. This took aproximately 3 oz. The, above mentioned, warning went away and hasn't returned.

The next time this happens, I may not be so quick to add oil; I'll depend more on the sight glass than the computer oil sensor display.

Thanks guys.

I was pretty sure I didnt need to add any just yet, but wasnt sure of how low I can go.

I checked the bike today also while it was on the centerstand during some cleaning and the oil level was more like up to 3/4 now.

This was a cold reading, I hadnt started the bike today.

I guess it takes a while for the oil to reach a normal drained down level in the R motors like you mentioned.

I will just watch the level and keep riding it to see at what level the oil warning comes on. So far the oil has always been high enough that I havent seen that yet.

Rich

I just came back from a 100 mile ride.

I get home and the oil signal is on "!"

So I put the bike on the centerstand and wait a while and the oil is about 3/4 to near the top of the red circle.

I know it doesnt need any but this sensor is wacky.

I am going to give the dealer a call and see what they say.

Rich

I have had the same experiences with my oil warning light. If it's not at least 3/4 full the light comes on. I am glad that at least it doesn't flash off and on for that would be really annoying.

I called the dealer today and he said he had not heard of this particular problem yet.

He said I definitely have enough oil and to just watch it and let him know if it does it again.

I took the bike out last night and no warning symbol came on.

Rich

Archived