IGNORED

35 vs 25KW F650cs?

elkroeger

I just got a "maintenance manual" for my sweetie's 2005 F650CS. In it are listed stats for a 25KW and a 35KW version of the same bike. I didn't know there were two versions. How do I tell which one we have? (short of comparing the top speed figures, although that sounds like fun!) Thanks!

Paul Mihalka

All USA F650 bikes have the standard high powered engine. 35KW is about 46 hp which is about right. The lower powered is a Europe special for novice riders who have limitations on their driver's license.

As Paul says, the low-power version is a Euro special, though it can be converted to full power quite easily. In the UK, new riders are limited to 125cc 11hp bikes and no passengers until they pass a test consisting of riding in traffic and a theory test. After this they can ride a bike of less than or equal to 33bhp (25kw) with a max pwr-weight ratio which I forget. After 2 years they get their unrestricted license. Over 21s can take a test on a 500cc bike and go straight to the unrestriced license, or they can go the 125-restricted-full route if they wish.

The F800 bikes are also made in 25kw versions.

Andy

Archived