IGNORED

Mom's Cafe in Salina, UT Under New Ownership

Bullett

Thanks for the post... the passing of an era for sure,...

Not trying to be the local food critic but the food was always a dicey proposition. The coffee, apparently highly rated by some was always weak, and watery. I tried the Raspberry Lemonaide last trip to Torrey and it was so sweet (it is a Mormon thing...) I can still feel my body trying to recover from the sugar rush.

The famous Scone is just plain weird. It is unlike any Scone availble in the real world. Dense as a brick, fried, and most un-scone-like.

The "famous" Tuna salad sandwich was just painfully plain. It is a good thing there is no rule about truthfulness in menu advertising. But then maybe it was famous for some other reason.

I will probably still stop there as it is convenient and is a tradition now... but I hear there is a good Mexican place closer to the intestate... may need to give that try also.

In any case congratulations to Mom... good job while it lasted.

Paul Mihalka
Thanks for the post... the passing of an era for sure,...

Not trying to be the local food critic but the food was always a dicey proposition. The coffee, apparently highly rated by some was always weak, and watery. I tried the Raspberry Lemonaide last trip to Torrey and it was so sweet (it is a Mormon thing...) I can still feel my body trying to recover from the sugar rush.

The famous Scone is just plain weird. It is unlike any Scone availble in the real world. Dense as a brick, fried, and most un-scone-like.

The "famous" Tuna salad sandwich was just painfully plain. It is a good thing there is no rule about truthfulness in menu advertising. But then maybe it was famous for some other reason.

I will probably still stop there as it is convenient and is a tradition now... but I hear there is a good Mexican place closer to the intestate... may need to give that try also.

In any case congratulations to Mom... good job while it lasted.

A month ago I stopped for the night in Salina on my way to the UN and of course I had to have dinner at Mom's Cafe. Same opinion. The food and the place mediocre. Been there, done that.

I'm sure you will all yuk it up but I really liked the food at Mom's, the scone was fantastic and reason enough to go there on its own, didn't try the coffee.

but I hear there is a good Mexican place closer to the intestate...
That doesn't sound much better!
I've never had the will to go there, ba-boom...
Dave McReynolds

I stopped by there to thaw out on my last trip back from Torrey. It was 17 degrees on my K1200GT thermometer when I left Torrey. I was looking forward to it getting warmer as the sun came up, but I forgot about having to gain a thousand feet or so in elevation right out of Torrey, and the thermometer dropped a few more degrees before it began heading back up again. All I wanted when I got to Mom's was a cup of coffee; I didn't care if it was watery, so long as it was hot.

They didn't bring any coffee as they took my order, as they do in some restaurants. When the waitress came by to take my order, I told her I would like coffee right away, but it didn't come, so I reminded her, but it still didn't come until my food came. After I finished the first cup, which happened as soon as it cooled down enough to chug down, I pushed it over by the edge of my table, but that subtle move didn't get me any more coffee. So I asked the waitress if I could have another cup. She gave me a look, common I guess in small Mormon towns, like, "Are you sure you really want another cup of coffee? It's not really good for you, you know." But she brought me another cup, against her better judgement, I'm sure. But I didn't feel brave enough to ask for a third cup.

The breakfast itself was fine: the usual good tasting, stick to your arteries, fried stuff.

On the way to the bathroom, after finishing my breakfast, I passed a table where someone (Mom?) was counting a huge pile of currency into piles of 20's, 10's etc. She was still counting after I finished my chores and headed back to my table.

I agree the Mexican place is better, but the chicken soup at Mom's thawed us out last March on our snow ride, and they kept the coffee coming, so I thought it was OK. But I've only eaten there once.

I've had the same experience as Dave with coffee in Utah restaurants, I remember particularly this spring in Delta when it was starting to snow. I don't think it is a judgmental thing, I think they just forget because they don't drink it themselves. You would probably have the same problem in the UK, constantly flowing coffee is (or wasn't at least) the norm there either. My mother always wants hers after breakfast and complains when Denny's brings it first (she loves Denny's :grin: ). I'm on my way to Blighty right now, I'll investigate.

BeniciaRT_GT
I'm sure you will all yuk it up but I really liked the food at Mom's, the scone was fantastic and reason enough to go there on its own, didn't try the coffee.

Well,

You are British... 'Nuff said?

Archived