IGNORED

ANOTHER ONE GOT AWAY

ozmojo

I was on my way home from work yesterday , riding in the left hand lane doing about 35+ mph. I had just gotten gas and was enjoying the nice weather and the fact it was Friday and I didn't have to go back to work for a couple days...ahhh the weekend. My mini mental vacation abruptly ended when out of the corner of my eye I saw the car next to me changing lanes into me . There was nobody in front of him and he even sped up to do it. I had one of those feelings thats somethings not right here so I instinctively grabbed the brakes and when I realized to my amazement what he was doing I grabbed all of the brakes. He just missed me and he didn't have a clue I was even there. I ride with my fog lights on to be as visual as I can be but I guess this was one of those times when all your planning was negated by someone unaware of your presence. This guy was lucky I couldn't find my fender mounted 40 mm cannon button , I was so rattled I couldn't find the horn button either. Just as well he might of slamed on the brakes and possibly caused another accident. He went about four more blocks and made an uneventful exit stage right. I followed him up to his turn and thought about giving him a piece of my mind but decided I need all that I've got left so I let him slide. I rode home appreciative of the skills I have been developing and insight I glean everyday from all of you fellow riders here on this forum and also the warm feeling that another one got away....me. Gotta work on that cannon button tho.

Went to Gillette for the MOA Rally, all told some 5,700 Km. Would you not know that it was uneventfull until 3 blocks from home, when a Mom is a Volvo wagon talking on her cellphone almost plowed me ....I am sorry, I did not see you!!!

I am sorry, I did not see you!!!

I've stopped to talk to a couple folks that simply did stupid things and endangered me. In each instance the above was their reply. I very carefully thank them for the apology but inside I'm boiling over because "I did not see you" is not an excuse and "I'm sorry" only works when I have NOT been injured due to their inattentiveness.

There seem to be more blindspots for cars nowadays. It used to be just this area from between where the rear side mirror left off until the side window picked you up. Now we need to include the the inside mirror,the sturdier roof pillars, and the cell phone hand.

....I am sorry, I did not see you!!!

Like ozmojo, I don't try to confront cagers in these situations, because this is the invariable response. On those rare occasions when I have had the opportunity to speak to them, my retort is always "No, you didn't LOOK for me. There's a difference." Said calmly, it usually gives them pause.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

People also don't see giant hi-viz fire engines with flashing lights and sirens. Motorcycles don't stand a chance. I concentrate on seeing them, not the other way around.

Wheels Rollin'
There seem to be more blindspots for cars nowadays. It used to be just this area from between where the rear side mirror left off until the side window picked you up. Now we need to include the the inside mirror,the sturdier roof pillars, and the cell phone hand.

... and all too frequently, vehicle drivers don't seem to use them -- their mirrors -- as they were intended to be used <>...

~ Bill

skinny_tom (aka boney)
I followed him up to his turn and thought about giving him a piece of my mind but decided I need all that I've got left so I let him slide.

Good choice. Too often this is not the case, and many times the riders learn the "bigger vehicle always wins" rule.

and many times the riders learn the "bigger vehicle always wins" rule.

Does that mean we can run bicyclists and scooters off the road? :dopeslap:

ShovelStrokeEd

I would be thinking about where I failed in anticipating this near miss and working on ways to avoid this in the future.

I won't argue with braking to get out of the situation although acceleration may have been an option as well. What I do suggest is that there were probably clues as to his intentions that you missed. Your relative positions may have made them hard to spot but, trust me, they were there.

...my retort is always "No, you didn't LOOK for me. There's a difference." Said calmly, it usually gives them pause.

I like that - I'll have to keep that one in mind.

Jay

I agree. I was given a loaner car when mine went in for service. It had huge blind spots and twice I almost ran into someone even after making an effort to check the spot. When I change lanes, I continue to monitor the spot and it wasn't until the other cars came into view did I realize someone was there.

Ed, I don't ride beside cages unless I'm going by them and if I have to ride beside them do to traffic congestion I always place myself where I can see the driver in his mirror so I know they can see me too. I know the worst place to be is in a blind spot whether your in your in a car or on the bike. I am always on guard when driving and especially so when on the bike. I'm sure we all try to anticipate the unexpected and try to read others intentions and that has prevented several occurances already. However this wasn't one of the times. His only indication he was coming over was his quick lane change. Braking was my only option here because as I said previously he also sped up when he changed lanes. If I had accelerated he would of got me for sure . I'm sure I was temporarily in his blind spot at that time as I was trying to go by but if he had looked in his mirrors even once in the previous blocks or turned his head to check my lane he would have seen me. I do appreciate your suggestions and I'm thankful I"m still here to read them.

I commute to and from work almost everyday.

One of my strategies is to lay on the horn, when I even begin to suspect that someone is gonna change lanes without knowing that i currently already occupy the lane. From my perspective, I'd rather be safe and piss somebody off than splattered.

I am very grateful that my 05 12rt came with a conspicuously loud horn. Most of the time I get a wave as an acknowlegement from the cager. however, On more times than I care to recount I have clearly alerted a clueless cager about my presence...

I can tell by the way they look at me surprised and mouth "I'm Sorry" to which I usually point to my eyes... and mouth back LOOK! sometimes if there is a cell phone involved i'll do the pinky-thumb "hang up the phone"...

Defensive riding in my mind is riding under the assumption that they do not see you, period. And making every effort to alert them that I occupy space. I got lights, reflectors and a loud a$$ horn..

having said that, I got an order in for that 50 cal...

Jerry in Monument

I find that most blind spots occur between the ears.

A Few days ago I had a 60's maroon vette almost take me out near an intersection. He was in a lane to my right and initally behind me (actually we had been near each other for some time but in our own lanes). As I approached a red light with some cars in front of me he came along side me then was in front slightly(as in the front of his car was infornt of me but his rear bumper wasn't) and then merged. Something made me slow when he came along side me. I was most definently in his massive left rear blind spot when he merged, without signaling. I honked, he paused his merge as I slowed even more and checked my mirrors as by this time he had plenty or room. He waved, I am assuming a sorry I almost killed you wave, no less than three times. When we were all stopped he stucked his head out the window but I couldn't quite hear what he said. I figured by his facial expression and other body language he knew he f-upped. It was kinda windy and I was on an incline, I had to keep both hands on the bars, so I just remained stoic. Hopefully he learned a lesson, being that if you just say another vehicle and now you don't they are probably in your blind spot.

A Few days ago I had a 60's maroon vette almost take me out near an intersection. He was in a lane to my right and initally behind me (actually we had been near each other for some time but in our own lanes). As I approached a red light with some cars in front of me he came along side me then was in front slightly(as in the front of his car was infornt of me but his rear bumper wasn't) and then merged. Something made me slow when he came along side me. I was most definently in his massive left rear blind spot when he merged, without signaling. I honked, he paused his merge as I slowed even more and checked my mirrors as by this time he had plenty or room. He waved, I am assuming a sorry I almost killed you wave, no less than three times. When we were all stopped he stucked his head out the window but I couldn't quite hear what he said. I figured by his facial expression and other body language he knew he f-upped. It was kinda windy and I was on an incline, I had to keep both hands on the bars, so I just remained stoic. Hopefully he learned a lesson, being that if you just say another vehicle and now you don't they are probably in your blind spot.

His tupperware costs more than your tupperware.

Archived