IGNORED

Need some Bay Area help

azkaisr

Ok,

A person I know is going to be in San Francisco on the weekend of the 16th with her Mom. This is her first time in the city and they are staying near Fisherman's Wharf. Anyway, I would be very appreciative if you all can toss me a few nice places to see and some places to go eat that aren't as touristy as what she is reading in the guide books. Her Mom is a Vegan so that makes things more interesting.

Anyway, any help will be noted and for some of you it may even mean getting out of my dog house if the info proves useful. Funny, I haven't spent any real time up there since 2001 and feel like info I have is probably dated.

Thanks,

Kaisr

bakerzdosen

Uh, hello... Richard's Tech Daze ought to be interesting... if you never want to speak to her again. :)

Sorry, my info is either dated, involves sea food, or is "avoid this small Chinese place in Chinatown..."

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Joe G. provided me with a wonderful excursion when I was in SF. He's knowledgeable about the area.

Kaisr:

I seem to visit San Francisco at least once a year and have come to trust the San Francisco Chronicle annual Top 100 Restaurants. And also the Bargain Bites section.

I mostly use the F Line train and buses to get around downtown rather then wait for the cable cars. A 3 day Muni Passport costs $18.00 and gives unlimited cable car, Muni and bus use. Probably just me but I love architecture and can spend a couple of days just wandering the Financial District, Ferry building, Coit Tower, The Presidio, the bridges and the new ballpark.

If they are interested in Alcatraz it is essential to reserve your tickets ahead of time.

And make sure you ask Joe G. about the best pizza in San Francisco.

Mike Cassidy

1st time...

Pier 39....Nice Aquarium

A bay cruise past the GG bridge is nice

Love Chinatown and north beach

The Stinking Rose on columbus has some good vegetable pasta dishes

I would suggest Muir Woods but on weekend it's a zoo.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I found a plethora of vegitarian restaurants in SF by searching google for "vegan food san francisco." I wouldn't know anything about any of 'em.

I'd skip the Alcatraz tour and go for a Bay Cruise like 1MPH says, but only if it's a clear day. It's going to be cold and windy on the bay no matter what, and cold and foggy at night in the City so make sure they bring warm wind-proof clothes.

For a REAL look into SF history, you can't beat the Barbary Coast Walking Tour. Bring the book or call ahead to make sure one of the bookstores has it. BY FAR the best walk I've had in SF. Also, if they don't mind a lot of stairs, tell 'em to go check out Napier Lane. You can't go wrong.

I found a plethora of vegitarian restaurants in SF by searching google for "vegan food san francisco." I wouldn't know anything about any of 'em.

When my family came out to visit in May, since in my 7 years out here I haven't learned about anything unique for people to see or find to eat, I kept returning to Yelp. There will be reviews of all sorts of things, lists of all sorts of things, etc.

One thing they don't want to do if they want to do non-touristy is take a bus to Treasure Island to view the city. That's way overdone with may too many tourists.

I agree with 1mph. A bay cruise out past the GG bridge is money well spent.

Also, the sea lions on the wharf are priceless. :thumbsup:

If you can work it in, I highly recommend a trip to the Haight-Ashbury district. That was one of my all time favorite lifetime experiences. :thumbsup: And I'm a conservative! :D

Here are two vegan restaurants that my daughter recomends.

Greens Restaurant

Building A, Fort Mason Center

San Francisco, CA 94123

Restaurant: 415-771-6222

Greens to Go: 415-771-6330

Alive! Restaurant

San Francisco, California

1972 Lombard Street

San Francisco, California 94123

http://www.aliveveggie.com

yabadabapal

Sams Grill and Seafood on Bush Street 415/421-0594

Thats where I like to eat. Open Monday through Friday. Its really good food and the interior is old and wooden with booths that have curtains for privacy. I think its over 100 years old by now. Enjoy.

Bobby,

Sam's as good as it is, does not really fit the need mentioned in the original post.

But being SF there are plenty of places that will!

If you need good vegan places that aren't too touristy, you might also give Chinatown a try (the area in the vicinity of Stockton and Broadway.) Chinatown itself is sort of a tourist trap, but not the Chinese restaurants for the most part. And all Chinese restaurants have plenty of vegetarian offerings.

Here are two vegan restaurants that my daughter recomends.

Greens Restaurant

Building A, Fort Mason Center

San Francisco, CA 94123

Restaurant: 415-771-6222

Greens to Go: 415-771-6330

+1 on Greens - I'm not a vegan/veggie person, but this place was very very good! While you're eating there, the view out over the Marina toward the GG Bridge ain't bad either. Busy place, but worth the wait. Reservations recommended.

If they imbibe this is a great place for Irish Coffee or Guinness. Not fancy by not touristy either.

Fiddler's Green

1333 Columbus Ave.

San Francisco, Ca 94133

Tell Them Jack sent you.

SF is very vegan friendly. Yelp is a reasonable resource--just read the customer comments.

I liked the walk from over near Land's End to the bridge. A walking tour is definitely good.

BeniciaRT_GT

Tom,

She should really take a bus up to Muir Woods. She will enjoy it as much as any cityfied thing she might do also.

One link of several for a shuttle: linky

If you want a nice (and inexpensive at $7.45 one-way)boat ride across the bay, with great views of the city, just take the commuter ferry to Sausalito. It takes about 30 minutes, passes very close to Alcatraz, and drops you off in a great spot -- Sausalito. It leaves from the SF ferry terminal. We (my wife and I) did this last summer when we rode to California. We stayed in Sausalito, and are about to do it again -- we're heading to San Fran this Saturday with my 16 year old daughter (flying this time, obviously). Once again we're making Sausalito our base of operations for the five days we'll be spending in/around SF.

Think we'll check out Greens restaurant, recommended earlier, and also Muir Woods (only 12 miles north of where we're staying). Glad I saw this thread.

http://www.goldengateferry.org/schedules/Sausalito.php

And make sure you ask Joe G. about the best pizza in San Francisco.

Mike Cassidy

I'll bite; where is the best pizza?

According to Joe G.

New York.

But you have to get his full 5 minute lecture with the Brooklyn accent about "art food" in San Francisco. Had me rolling on the ground in fits of laughter while we were taking a walk in Capital Reef Park last fall. So I asked him for an update at John Day and he said he had tried a couple more places and nothing had changed.

Mike Cassidy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived