IGNORED

Storing solar power?

drzep

Great news. It's becoming more apparent that the future is in alternative (non-petroleum based) energy sources. The immediate problem is cost.

The PV source material, polysilicone, that costs $30/kg to produce is being sold for $450/kg in today's market. A few years ago, it sold for $100/kg. This doesn't bode well for Joe Average homeowner to invest in systems that will have a 10-15 year payback. Once it gets down to the 5-10 year payback, the technology should be cheap enough that it makes too much sense to not go solar. New homes would have solar as a normal construction methodology.

[soapbox up]

All this being said for solar, which is a good idea for us here in the West, less so for those in large urbanized Northeast cities, what's really necessary is enough adult thinking, and leadership in Congress and the Executive Branches of government that will develop an all-encompassing National Energy Policy designed to get us off of imported oil as much as possible.

Rebates and tax credits for homeowners to incorporate alternative energy measures, while incenting large utility companies to develop their own best methods of producing energy for their large commercial and industrial companies.

My fear is that with the recent drop in oil prices, the (needed) panic to find alternative energy methods will go by the wayside if fuel prices return to 'acceptable' levels, as it did following the oils 'crises' of 1973 and 1977

[/soapbox down]

Great news. It's becoming more apparent that the future is in alternative (non-petroleum based) energy sources.

[soapbox up]

.... what's really necessary is enough adult thinking, and leadership in Congress and the Executive Branches of government that will develop an all-encompassing National Energy Policy designed to get us off of imported oil as much as possible...........

..........My fear is that with the recent drop in oil prices, the (needed) panic to find alternative energy methods will go by the wayside if fuel prices return to 'acceptable' levels, as it did following the oils 'crises' of 1973 and 1977

[/soapbox down]

Run for office..... You've got my vote:thumbsup:

Archived