IGNORED

Me no likey a wet butt.

madness522

And I'm pretty sure there are not many folks that do like to ride with a wet butt. So how do you keep a leather seat dry? I have a Corbin seat (still unsure if I really like it or not) andit got wet before I left work yesterday and squished water up when I climbed on it to go home.

I know someone has a solution. I think Corbin sells seat covers but the number of web sites that carry BMW parts is way, way smaller than for my Honda and I haven't seen a cover on any of the few sites I've visited.

Is there a way to condition the leather so it doesn't soak up water? Or is a seat cover going to be best option? Any ideas where to find a seat cover for a Corbin?

-barry

When I looked on Corbin's website they suggested letting the seat sit in the sun for a few hours to dry. I'm not sure that is practical, especially if you are traveling.

Try a Harley shop.

There were times I kept a garbage bag balled up in a saddle bag with a bungie net. I slapped that on if I was parking it outside in rain.

It wouldn't be too hard to make one, if you could find the right material, some elastic and some nylon thread.

I wear waterproof overpants - always - so it's never an issue for me on the RT.

Beaded seat cover?

Any ideas where to find a seat cover for a Corbin?

Is this a trick question? CORBIN! smile.gif

You might also try Russell Day-Long Saddles, they sell covers for their seats that might work.

I think Rick Meyer also sells rain covers for seats. I have some rain covers that came with the used Rick Meyer seat I bought. Another option is a cover for you bike. I carry a small half cover in my top box so I can cover the bike when its parked. It just covers the top half of the bike but its enough to protect the seat.

I think I'd carry a kitchen trash can sized plastic bag with me. If the seat became wet, just take the bag out and insert the seat, install seat, go home, throw bag away.

I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S.

Any ideas where to find a seat cover for a Corbin?

Is this a trick question? CORBIN! smile.gif

Sorry, not a trick question. What I meant was what are some web sites that sell BMW accessories. I have only found a couple. I have many sites that sell accessories for my Honda and am looking for more that have BMW accessories.

Where do you guys buy your stuff?

In general?

BMW stuff from Marin BMW, owner founded this site.

Cyclegadgets.com has a lot of neat stuff.

From there it's a lot of bits and pieces you can pick up from the vendor direct.

One thing I found that helps guard against soaked seats,is to leave the bike on the sidestand rather than the center stand.That way the water will runoff, instead of puddling up and sinking into the seams.

Where do you guys buy your stuff?

Welcome to the group and a logical question from a new proud BMW owner.. grin.gif

At the top of the website you'll notice a "links" button that has some good accessories sites. There's plenty more available in cyber space but that location should get you started in the right direction to what your looking for. thumbsup.gif

We have had afternoon thundershowers in NC quite frequently this summer, but my butt has remained nice and dry.

I applied a good coat of NIKWAX for smooth leather on my Rick Mayer seat not long after I got it. When the seat is wet, I use paper towels, towel from my gym bag, or even just wipe the the seat off with my hand before hopping on.

Could be Rick's stitching, could be the NIKWAX, could be both, but no water has actually penetrated the leather.

http://www.nikwax-usa.com/ or go to your local outdoor store.

They have products to waterproof other materials as well ... but I think you guys with the sheepskin and velour seats are going to be out of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

My Russell came with a rain cover that I've ended up ALWAYS leaving in place covering the seat. Between rain, spilled drinks, muddy boot-prints when mounting the bike, I see no reason to ever take it off. Hell, the seat doesn't look any worse with the cover on tongue.gif

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Take everyone's advice including mine!

Stand that wet seat ON END in your garage/outhouse/foyer/porch and let gravity do the work of draining off the excess water... if you fail to do this you can end up with mold, mildew and deteriorated leather. Regularly treat the leather with Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner (good stuff and easy to use).

Get a half cover... yah.

In 1996 I bought a Corbin rain cover with my Corbin leather seat for my RT. It was one piece and worked well. There were generic seat rain covers available, not sure about now. I recently bought a new 2 piece Corbin seat cover for my current RT and it works well and is easy to put on. It also has the provisions for backrest. In fact, I think Corbin also has rain covers for backrest!

Archived